XVIII

"i just asked what she was doing in here" i answered meeting sarah's eye and then back to the police officers.
"and what did she say"
"she said she didn't steal anything so she hasn't committed a cri-"
"that's not the point! i don't want a random girl in my house. playing around with my kids. we have a safe environment here, i don't want that to be ruined" my dad exclaims and the police officers nod and write something down in a book.
"what would you like us to do ward?" one of the police officers ask.
"i want a full search for this girl-"
"but dad you said she could stay!" sarah buts in.
"that was before i knew she was stealing! did you know of this sarah?"
sarah quickly makes eye contact with me before answering. "no. of course not dad"
"great!" he claps his hands together before standing up. the police officers meet his height and shake hands.
"we will find this girl" they all chip in some words of reassurance to my dad.
"good and once you do i want her locked away" he says "for life"
the man laughs "i dunno about life but we'll see what we can do"
the officers then say their goodbyes and leave.
"i'm so sorry kids. for letting a monster into the house. i promise you that i will never let this happen again"
my jaw clenches. a monster? if she's a fucking monster, what is he? he's done far worse things than her i swear to god. sarah meets my eye and sees my anger. she shakes her head and i release my clenched fists, which i did not know i had.
"i'm going out" i say and swiftly leave the room.
"not while that girl is on the loose your not!" my dad shouts.
i laugh a fake laugh and open the door.
"i think i'll be fine"
i then leave the house, accidentally slamming the door.

333 words+