Chapter 13

Sophie

The air is still warm as it whips across my skin, bringing with it the smell of salt. I tuck a small strand of hair that has escaped behind my ear to keep it from blowing in my face as the preacher goes quickly through an outline of what will take place on the real wedding day. I chance another glance at Andrew and see him watching me, his eyes never shying away regardless of who might catch him looking. My skin heats up again with thoughts of his touch.

Of course I agreed to stay with him tonight. Now I just have to get through this practice and back up to his room before I overheat and pass out from excitement alone. His lips curl up and I wonder if he's thinking the same thing as me. Clapping pulls me from my thoughts and I quickly catch up, making sure to focus my attention back on the bride. She looks so happy standing with Evan and for the first time since arriving I'm actually feeling happy for her.

Evan and Rachel turn to face their audience and begin the walk from the alter to the back of the chairs. He holds her hand and tugs her along, not once making eye contact with me. I think that's for the best. I take a few steps up to meet my escort down the aisle and allow my eyes to sweep up his fitted black slacks and along the hard silhouette of his broad chest. When my eyes meet his he leans in and whispers, "That was torture. How much longer until you're mine?" I feel my cheeks turn pink and tuck my head to hide my reaction from the audience. With a wink, he offers me his arm and I tuck my hand into the curve and let him lead me past the small audience.

My heart is beating so quickly I can feel my pulse in my neck. I catch the scent of his cologne as it mixes with the salty smell of the breeze and it fills my lungs causing warmth to spread through me. I can feel the pull and flex of his muscles under my palm and I love that even in my heels he's tall enough that I have to look up to catch him looking down at me. His jaw is flexed and the smooth, freshly shaved skin looks so heavenly I want to slide my lips across it.

"I'm so excited! It's almost time for the real deal!" Rachel's voice pierces my trance and I shake off the haze of lust that was clouding my thoughts. Her hand encircles my free wrist and she pulls me into her chest in a too tight squeeze. Suddenly we are bouncing as she jumps up and down in the sand.

"It's going to be perfect," I answer with the tiny breath of air she hasn't forced from my lungs. I love her. Even through my broken heart, I'd never given up on our friendship. I wrap my arms around her and let myself feel hopeful that one day things will be like they were before. When she finally releases me, I turn back to Andrew. His chin is tucked down and he is peering at me from beneath his dark lashes. His hands are tucked into his pockets and in this moment he's the sexiest vision I've ever seen.

"We're all going to go out for drinks." Evan's voice behind me causes my back to stiffen. Andrew's eyes flick up from mine and his smile drops. I hate that I have anything to do with the growing tension between them. Andrew has done nothing wrong; in fact, he tried hard to make sure I knew how his best friend felt about me. There is harshness in Evan's tone that almost brings down the butterflies that have been circling in my stomach with the dirty thoughts of my night to come.

"Where?" Andrew asks with a smile I know is forced.

"Cocktails. They have pitcher's of margaritas and a DJ." Evan answers before turning back to the rest of the bridal party.

I know that Andrew is doing me a favor by not walking right next to me as the group migrates down the strand towards the bar not far from our hotel. I can hear the music when we get close and I wonder how long it will take before we can slip out unnoticed by the others. He may not be right next to me, but he's ever present in my thoughts.