Chapter 15

Sophie

I wake up wrapped in his arms when the light shines through a small crack in the curtains. I was worried that I might wake up today feeling a little regret for sneaking off with him last night when I should have been hanging out with Rachel, but I can't seem to find it in me to feel anything other than content—happy even. Last night was wonderful and I wouldn't take it back for any price.

"Good morning," his grumbly voice says from behind me, and his arm that is snaked between my breasts cinches tighter, pulling me back even closer to him. He presses a kiss to my shoulder before letting his head fall back onto his pillow.

"Good morning," I sigh.

"What's on your agenda today?"

"Nothing until the bachelorette party tonight. I can't believe tomorrow is the big day. I thought this week would never end." I laugh softly. His lips are on my skin again and I can feel them smile at my admission.

"No kidding. A whole fucking week to celebrate seems a bit indulgent." He rolls onto his back and I follow, wiggling around until my head is rested on his arm. "Can I take you to breakfast?"

"That would be awesome. I didn't really eat much last night since I was so worried about meeting up with Evan." I reach for the hand of the arm I'm laying on and pull it over my chest. I can't help feeling safe and happy wrapped up in his warmth.

"I'm trying really hard to mind my own business, but I would really love to hear what you guys had to say to each other. I could see on his face last night that things obviously didn't go the way he wanted." His lips drift to the top of my head. This feels so familiar. It's like this is the way it was always supposed to be.

"He's such an ass." Andrew's chuckle makes me smile.

"Tell me something I don't already know."

"Ok, he said he still loves me and that he will be waiting for me. He offered to call of the wedding. When I told him I wasn't going back to him, he told me that he would always be waiting. Basically, when I was ready to love him again, he would leave her. I can't believe I ever trusted him." That was the hardest part. I had trusted him. When he broke up with me it rocked that security, but when he started dating Rachel it made me doubt all of his feelings for me and even our history. He'll never know how much it scarred me.

"What?" I feel his head shaking. "Sometimes I have no idea who he is anymore." I know that feeling very well.

"Well, I guess it doesn't matter. I told him I was here for Rachel and that I would never be stepping back into his life."

"Are you going to tell Rachel about it?" His arm around me tightens a little with his words.

"She wouldn't believe me. I love Rachel, but she's always been in some one-sided competition with me. I want to believe that she fell for Evan because that's what her heart truly wanted more than anything, but I've also wondered if it had anything to do with trying to be better than me. If I told her what he said, I would lose her friendship and she would have a little seed of doubt in her about their relationship and I know how horribly tight that sprouted seed can wrap it's roots around your heart and head. I've been there." He kisses my head again letting out a big sigh when his lips leave my head.

"She'll figure it out soon enough. You don't owe her anything. If she can't see him for who he is then maybe she'll live in a wonderful marriage built on blissful ignorance." I can't help but laugh a little at his morbid yet adorable view of their future marriage.