Chapter 16

Andrew

I sat across from her as she ate the breakfast I prepared for us and wondered if I was doing the right thing. She told me how important trust is to her and how badly Evans betrayal had hurt her and I held back the information about him cheating on Rachel until a few months ago. It might be a huge mistake that will come back to get me, but for right now I think it's best if she doesn't know.

Telling her about the cheating would put her in the middle. If she didn't tell Rachel and Rachel found out that she knew, it would surely end their friendship. It would eat away at Sophie keeping that secret from her best friend even if she never found out. If she told Rachel about it, it could have a huge effect on their marriage and Sophie would always be seen as the girl that helped to break them up. For now, I just have to know that I'm doing what's best for her and hope she will understand.

Listening to her talk about California was both exciting and heart breaking. She loves it there and plans to live there for a long time. Her face lights up each time she talks about her roommates and how wonderful it is to walk outside without being hit my that humid stale air we have here in Florida. At the same time, knowing that she is going to leave in two days to go back to her life there without me hurts. I feel like I finally got my chance to show her how much I've always cared about her and she's leaving.

We hung out at my place all morning and took a walk downtown to have lunch a few hours later. I held her hand and even stopped and kissed her a few times right on the street because I didn't want to waste a minute of the time we have together. I don't care who sees how much I love her, but know that keeping a low profile around the wedding guests is truly what's best for her. She's already had to put up with years of shame and constant rumors about what had happened between her and Evan. I won't pull her back into that spotlight with any of my actions.

At lunch, over a sandwich we shared, she told me about how hard it is at times to be away from her family. I understand that feeling well, both my parents left Florida for the much drier climate of Arizona to help with my father's allergies and arthritis. I try to visit them as often as possible, usually stopping in when I travel back and forth to California. I think leaving your friends and family just out of high school makes you a very courageous person and probably ages you quicker than your peers. I know each time that I look into her eyes that she is an old soul, wise beyond her years.

"Where are you boys going tonight?" she asks as I run my hand down her hair. Her finger is tracing circles on my bare chest as we lie in my bed. I love having her head on my chest and her body pressed closely to mine.

"A strip club. Nothing says cheesy bachelor party like greased up silicone, five inch heels and gold stripper poles." She laughs and I feel my own smile stretch across my face. I could listen to her laugh all day. It's like being back in grade school when I would do whatever it took to make a girl laugh. She brings out the playful kid in me. It's amazing just how much she brings out in me period. One minute I'm like a child, messing around and having the best time, and the next I'm all grown up thinking about white picket fences and two point five kids.

"Well, as long as one of them is named after some type of baking ingredient—Sugar, Chocolate, Cinnamon or something, I think your mission will be accomplished." This time I laugh, peeking down at her as she looks up at me.

"What about the girls? What are you doing?"

"Drinking and dancing," she rolls her eyes. "Can't say we achieved bachelorette party success unless everyone wakes up tomorrow with sore feet and regrets."

"I'm pretty good at massages. Keep that in mind when you're all liquored up and looking for a place to elevate your feet." I try hard to keep a straight face but fail when she pretends to be shocked. We both laugh and I pull her up higher on me so that I can kiss her lips. "I'm serious though, stay the night with me again. I'll give you my extra key."