Chapter 42

Song: None because *Spoilers*

Also, this chapter is kind of a mess. "Too much stuff, not enough space," as they say.

America's POV

Today was my last day in Niue. I was excited and sad at the same time. I was finally going home to Maxon and Alex, but I was going to miss the tiny island. I'd become attached to it and the people I'd met. All of the kids I'd taught and the people I helped held a special place in my heart.

There was a concert a few hours ago. All of the kids I'd worked with had put together a performance in honor of my last day. It was nowhere close to perfect, but it filled me with pride to see them and my eyes had welled with tears.

Now, I was saying goodbye to everyone. We were all gathered in the restored town square. I hugged the Niueans and wished them all well. It was especially hard to say farewell to the people I'd grown extremely close to, like Evie and her family. I'd shed more than my fair share of tears when I'd talked to them.

"Be good for your mom," I'd said to the little girl. "And keep practicing your singing. It'll really take you places someday."

She'd nodded and gave me a hug. Her mom had then taken her hand and led her away so other people could speak to me.

An hour later, I was boarding the plane. I waved one last time to the people, who were watching as I left. I was happy to see the smiles on their faces and know that I'd helped get them there. Pretty much all of the damage had been repaired and the island's beauty resembled its former glory. I knew they were grateful.

I sat down in my seat and pulled out the picture Maxon had sent me. I smiled at my boys. I'd missed them so much and I could not wait to see them.

I buckled my seatbelt and looked out the window as the island slowly faded into the horizon.

Maxon's POV

I was pacing worriedly through the garden. Not only was America an hour late, but she hadn't called like she said she would once she landed. I wouldn't be this worried if the weather would behave itself. There had been off-and-on thunderstorms all day. I had no way to know if she had made it back to Illéa safely.

I told myself that everything was fine, that she was fine. She probably was just running late because of something that was put of her control, like car trouble. Still, America should have called...

It started to rain suddenly, like a total downpour. I was soaked almost instantly. I started to head inside when there was a loud crack of lightning. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a black limousine pull through the gates. I stopped in my tracks. It was her.

I stood there frozen as the car slowed to a stop, not caring about the rain pounding against my body. The door opened and I watched as she stepped out. America smiled at the palace, seeming not to notice her sopping wet husband staring at her. She glanced over to the garden for a moment and did a double take.

Her jaw dropped and she brought her hand to her heart, seeming too surprised to do much else. My heart thudded in my chest. I felt stupid; I was so excited to see her, but I was just standing there like an imbecile. I told my legs to walk to her. I told my arms to open and welcome her into an embrace. I told my mouth to smile and show her how glad I was to have her home. But I just stood there like a statue.

America made the first move. She took one hesitant step. And then another. Before I knew what was happening, she started running. She threw herself into my arms, wrapping her legs around my waist. The collision caused me to lose my balance and, before I could regain my footing, I fell backwards into the slimy, lukewarm mud.