Chapter 24

"What in the 6 worlds are you doing here!?" Y/n kept her voice down to prevent her companions from hearing their conversation.

"Lady Lee was worried about you causing trouble for Lady Yoo and the rest, so she told me to follow you" Mina explained.

"Has she no faith in me?! I've been behaving very well these past few weeks, what is she so worried about?" Y/n wasn't lying, she really was acting like an adult and has been staying out of trouble just like her boss wanted. 

"Sad to say, even I don't have any faith in you, captain" With no hesitation whatsoever, the fairy revealed her honest feelings and stared blankly at the shocked Y/n.

"A few weeks of behaving won't make her forget the years of stress you've given her. Even I can't seem to rely on you these days, especially after seeing you beat up that knight from earlier"

"Yo- You saw that!?"

"Of course I did! And you nearly killed him, what were you thinking!?" For the first time in so long, Mina raised her voice at Y/n and scolded her like an angry mother.

It was always times like these when Y/n couldn't fight back. Whenever the fairy got angry, even Jieun doesn't butt in and stays as far away as possible.

"I... I'm very sorry" Y/n felt the need to go on her knees but Mina stopped her halfway through.

"Pushing that aside... I'll be watching over you like I always do. Every action you make will be reported to Lady Lee, so I suggest you don't do anything stupid"

The former captain pressed her lips together and looked down in shame before nodding. Obedience was the key this time.

The way Mina was looking at her made her want to crawl into a hole and stay there. Y/n hasn't felt this tensed in a while, the pressure was truly immense.

"Well as long as you understand, I won't get in your way and support you from a safe distance" The fairy summoned a mask and wore it. She knew better than to recklessly reveal her face to the world.

Unlike a certain someone...

Y/n sighed and went back to her position while Mina casted an invisibility spell on herself, making sure only the trainee could see her.

Y/n couldn't stop herself from gulping nervously. She was fine just a while ago but now that Mina was back to babysitting her, she felt utterly pressured to do well in this mission. One mistake can lead to another earful, her poor ears would once again be abused by a horrifying woman's scolding. 

Not to mention, Mina's faith in her would decrease again if she performs even a single action done out of recklessness. The fairy has been hanging out with Jieun too much─ it was no wonder Y/n felt like she was about to be torn to bits.

She quickly shook off all the negative thoughts clouding her mind, making sure none of them would get in her way. Although Mina's gaze was quite difficult to ignore, the former captain kept her cool and exhaled deeply to ease her rapidly beating heart.

But just when she thought she could relax, a loud explosion erupted from the other side of the city. Startled by the sudden noise, she turned her head to where it came from and saw smoke reaching the sky as rubble and broken furniture flew all over the city.

"It's starting..." One of the knights said before summoning his sacred weapon. The rest followed suit while Y/n pulled out a regular sword Jieun let her borrow─ Calamitrous was still in accessory form, hidden under her armor.