Chapter Thirteen

Henley

Henley

How to buy cars, I decided, should have been something they taught in high school. Or maybe I should have researched it beforehand. Fortunately, I'd brought Brandon with me, and while he didn't exactly know either because we'd never been able to buy cars from a dealership before, his attitude kept the sales rep from pressuring me into buying something I didn't want. Maybe I could have gotten a better deal if I knew better, but the most important thing was getting a new car.

Eventually, I walked out with the keys to my new car, while Brandon took my keys to my old beater. Brandon had said we'd get more for scrapping it than what the dealership offered and I wasn't ready to say goodbye to it yet, anyway. I got attached to inanimate objects too easily.

"You know, you could have afforded a better car than this," Brandon said as we came to a stop in front of my new Toyota Camry.

"I like this car," I said. "And it's not like it was cheap. I never imagined spending this much on a car in my life."

"How come you didn't pay it all in cash?"

"I'm trying to build up my credit," I said. "Although the interest rate on the loan is really high because I barely have any..."

Brandon frowned. "Do you really need to build up your credit?"

"What if I want to buy a house one day?"

"Bennett has a house. A nice house. And I'm sure if you wanted to live somewhere else, he'd happily buy one for the two of you.

I rubbed my neck. That was probably true. "I like Bennett's house and where he lives is fine, but I also want to be able to buy my own house if I have to one day. I don't want the anxiety of living in an apartment."

Brandon considered this. "I guess you're right. There's a chance you two could break up one day. But if things go sour with Bennett, I'll still be there to support you."

"Oh, will you?"

"You supported me when I was in need. It's only right for me to do the same," Brandon said, straightening his posture. "You can count on your big bro."

I tapped my chin. "Hmm. Well, I'll keep that in mind."

"I even got a second job, remember?"

"You still liking it?" I asked, opening the door to my new car. I had to admit— it was kind of exciting to have a new car after driving around my beater for so long. This one had red interior, Apple car play, and a backup camera. I was in a whole new world.

"Yeah, it's nice. I get a lot of tips and Wilson is a great boss," Brandon said, putting his hands on the top of my open door. "I like it better than working at the hotel."