41.

"Tell her about your time with Fred at the end-of-term party last year

"Tell her about your time with Fred at the end-of-term party last year."

"T-the end of term?" Fiona whispered. There was a chillness in her blood, coldness bringing the synapses of her brain to a standstill. She thought she knew what Roger was implying...but he couldn't possibly be.

"Heidi wasn't with Fred that night..." she said meekly, but her voice was barely audible. Beside her, she could hear Heidi shift uncomfortably. "H-Heidi was with someone else that night," she stammered.

"Did she ever tell you who that someone was, Fiona?" Roger pressed. Heidi's eyebrows pushed together while she sucked on her bottom lip.

"Heidi, it wasn't Fred though." Fiona's voice felt as if it belonged to someone else. She was desperate for Roger to be lying. But despite her desire, the pieces fit together perfectly. Fred's reputation and Heidi's adamant detest for him

Heidi inhaled sharply as she shot a cold glance at Roger before turning to Fiona. "Umm..." Heidi began rubbing her thumbs against her palms while chewing on the inside of her cheek. "Fiona, I'm sorry...I didn't know how to tell you," She said in a deflated tone.

"What are you talking about?" Alfie interjected as he leaned against Malcolm.

Fiona's face became blank. "Heidi shagged Fred last term." She coldly stated. Heidi's lips turned down as her eyes fell to her feet.

"Well, I mean," Alfie leaned away from Malcolm slightly. "Who didn't shag Fred last term?" He asked while directing a knowing glance towards Ravenclaw Sarah Fawcett, who had gathered outside of the classroom to wait for the exam. Sarah, who had been shamelessly eavesdropping on the conversation, quickly turned to her friends to feign interest in the view from a nearby window.

It wasn't simply that Heidi and Fred had been together the previous year. Fiona had entered her relationship with Fred knowing he hadn't been a saint. It was the fact that he was the one who had caused Heidi so much anguish over the summer holiday. He had completely disregarded her best friend without a single care. It had been Fred, this whole time.

"T-that was well before Fiona and Fred got together, Roger. It doesn't matter now." Heidi quietly murmured, but her eyes were locked on Fiona.

In the beginning, Heidi's letters seemed so hopeful, and her words were filled with elation at the possibilities in-store with the mystery man. Heidi deserved that happiness more than anyone Fiona knew. And for a time, it seemed as if it was within her grasp.

But as the weeks trickled by Heidi still hadn't received a letter from him. And her letters turned from hopeful to rejected. Fiona hated this person for making Heidi doubt her own self-worth. Fiona had written many letters to Heidi that summer cursing his anonymous existence for the pain he had caused Heidi all summer. He had snubbed her. Not even a return letter to her.

It was Fred's existence she had cursed. How could she be expected to face him now? And how could Heidi hide this information from her? Heidi had allowed her to unwittingly become attached to a man who was capable of such selfishness.