CHAPTER | 06 | MOTHER IN-LAW'S & DRAMA

"Mummy!" Annika ranted in her south african accent.

"What! It's true, many Nigerian girls gets pregnant before marrying their supposed husband."

"That's some nigerian mentality.... I'm south african."

"All the same both countries are black skinned, it's just the way of living and thinking is different." Mrs Twala says, before going to the other side to pick out shoes.

"But Mum,"

"Yes darling?"

"There's something I've been meaning to ask you and it's bothering me. With the way i am and my profession, you don't think Mide's parents can't like me, right?" Annika asked as Mrs Twala has a sour look on her face and turns away to begin rummaging through a clothes rack.

"Mum...What was that look? I saw that."

"Nothing. It's just, Mide bringing a girl all the way there to meet them can mean a lot to these overseas families. Eh, they're different from us."

"How are they different? They're Nigerian, I'm South African. I'm an african girl, I'm a successful media personality with lactose intolerance."

"Yeah, but you grew up here in Johannesburg. Your face is South African. Your culture is South African. You speak Zulu and not Nigerian languages. But here...and here...." Mrs Ndamase points to Annika's head and mouth.

"You're different. But wearing a lucky color will make a good first impression and trust me Mide's mother will love you. And I know you are always so cautious, and you don't want to be disappointed, but I just know in my heart what's going to happen and trust me you'll be happy." Mrs Twala said merrily with an assuring smile.

Annika and her mum arrived back at the resort with lots of items from their shopping spree, all on Mide's black card.

Valencia bought alot of things, Mode had ask Annika to take good care of his future mother in-law, which she did but Annika couldn't help but answer every question that was thrown at her by her mother.

"Mummy for the hundredth time, nothing is going to happen, you need to stop having all these thoughts and superstitions in your head, except if you want something to happen, untill then, there's no point making a big deal out of it," Annika insisted as she placed some of the boxes on her bed.

Her mum sat the nearest sofa not too close to the bed. "So where will you be staying in Nigeria?"

"Well i don't know, maybe at his parent's place, I guess."

"His parent's place, mmmmm, Do they live in a house or an apartment? A mansion?" Mrs Twala ask curiously.

"Mom I have no idea."

"Hiyah Annika, You should've find out these things!" Mrs Twala threw her hands up in the air.

"Why does it matter? Are you going to try to sell them a house in Nigeria?"

"If i can.... yes, since we'll be inlaws, atleast for we'll be business partners and I'm not just going to sell them a house, I'll give it them for free as per your dowry."

"Mom!!!" Annika exclaimed, her mum stood up

"I'm just saying that might be in a guest bedroom or sharing a bed with him, and you know how nigerian families will react when they find out that their golden son is doing a sleepover with his financée under their roof?"

"It never occurred to me-........"

"My daughter, that is the most important thing. You mustn't assume that Mide's parents are going to be as liberal-minded as I am. You are going to Nigeria,and those nigerian people are the most uptight of all the africans, you know! I don't want his parents to think I didn't raise you properly."