Challenging the Sun

"There you are!" Piper shouted as she ran to greet me.

Her deep green dress flowed less than an inch above the floor, the bodice coated with golden sparkles and the sleeves of Georgette fabric that left her skin visible through the green shade.

Calla was right behind her, but her dress was simpler, consisting of multiple shades of orange mixed in layers from the bottom to the top.

"Don't make this a habit — barely arriving in time, I mean," Piper added when she grabbed my hand and dragged me to the buffet of appetizers and finger foods.

Her child-like excitement was amusing. Calla was no longer shushing her, so it was now plainly obvious how much she genuinely loved this tradition and couldn't wait to tell me everything.

"I'm sorry," I said, failing to suppress the chuckle pressing past my lips when she pointed the chicken leg she'd picked up in my direction. "Adriel lost track of time, and I have yet to learn how to run in these heels."

"Speaking of attire," Calla said as she circled me, her gaze peeling off the layers of clothing from my body. "Why are you wearing a cape?"

I cleared my throat and swallowed the tiny pastry I'd put in my mouth. However, before I could answer her, she lifted the flimsy fabric and exposed the back.

"Oh, my! Miss Aldwyn!" Piper shouted, a little too loud for comfort, as she joined Calla behind me.

"Piper!" I chided her to prevent repeating the situation she'd put me in this morning.

"It was Adriel's idea," I whispered, carefully removing the cape from Calla's hands, allowing it to cover my back like before without making a scene.

I would never in my wildest dreams have worn a dress like this before I came here. Not only because we couldn't afford it, but this type of dress wouldn't have suited my slender body.

My back had been too bony, and my ribs had been visible enough for someone with musical talent to use my body as a human marimba.

However, the massive amounts of high-quality food we were given here, combined with Art's training, had transformed my body from merely skin and bones to somewhat athletic. If I hadn't been so uncomfortable with showing skin, I would probably have been proud to see a piece of clothing finally fitting me so well. Besides, Alia would likely be beside herself if she saw the seductive outfit my stylist had chosen for me.

I shortly pondered whether the price of seeing smoke steaming from her heated ears would be worth it. However, after my fight with Faye, agitating Alia was the last thing I wanted to do tonight. And for once, she didn't appear interested in agitating me, either.

Alia was standing on the opposite side of the cone-shaped figure of lights, chatting with Tanith and another person I couldn't see. Caiden, perhaps. I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

"So," I said as we sat down to eat the food we'd gathered. "Can you reveal anything about this evening yet? Apart from what is obviously already happening."

We were all here, as far as I could count. All but the royal family, and while I couldn't say for sure if Caiden was the person behind the figure, I couldn't rule out the possibility.

Evie was standing in a corner, talking to one of the guards, possibly discussing the events of the evening. The rest of the party was chatting and chuckling in their formal attire, either sitting at the round tables distributed around the edge of the dome or closer to the cone of spherical lights.

"We'd rather that it'll be a surprise," Calla hastily said before Piper could get a word in edgewise. "Besides, I don't think you'll have to wait long before it begins."