thirty seven: a beginning

Katie gathered her blanket, biting her lip while she moved across Talon’s room. Underneath the wool that she draped around her body, she was naked but felt completely warm. For all the years of her looking happiness, she had struck the mother lode. Though elation didn’t make her feel like she deserved what was happening down to her. Moments after Selena had left, she fell down, spiraling out of control.

The need to apologize and run to her overcame Katie. She started to regret having Talon in her life even more but his insistence grew on her. One word from him and she would have believed him fully.

She was at his mercy.

For what she was concerned with, Talon was her knight and if she were to follow him through the dark or lose a limb to save him, she would.

If this is how it felt to be in love, both unsure but feeling immensely safe then she wouldn’t have it any other way. She was simply, hopelessly chained by her husband’s romantic endeavors. She wasn’t pleased that she couldn’t do anything to reply to his kindness. All her belongings were still in her room back in pack Morris.

After being married, unofficially to Talon, she felt pressure on doing more. To be more. She couldn’t just take everything and give him nothing. She wanted to show her heart to him too.

But what would be a good gift to a man who can easily get whatever he wanted?

She had limited actions with being broke at the moment and she hesitated on prancing around the pack. She wasn’t stupid. The hate of the wolves around her was almost tangible. They didn’t need to say it, she felt it.

At the end of the day, she learned to suck it up and looked at it as a punishment for her stupidity. A punishment she was willing to work on if it meant her hand would stay with Talon’s.

As she went through Talon’s belongings, meticulously examining and admiring the photos in his stands and many various ornaments that hung on the wall, a chime entered her ears. It made her smile immediately knowing only Talon had her new phone number. She waddled back to the bed and answered the phone.

“Hi, good morning.” She greets.

Katie almost evaporated as he chuckles over the phone.

“My Moon, I don’t think I’ll ever get over your voice. Good morning, my Kayla.”

She wondered to what extent does he know what kind of effect he puts her through whenever he says she was his Kayla. She was a giddy child, very excited to hear him speak.

“H-how are things going?” She asks.

“I’ve met with Morris. We’re on a cordial understanding and Francis and I will be returning shortly after. I’ll be home sometime afternoon but I promise, I’ll be there before dinner. I wanna take you out.”

He was very vocal about having their first date and how it was unfair why they had already slept together but hadn’t gone to a dinner date, to the movies, or walked around the pack holding hands.

It was a very sweet thought but on one branch unnecessary. She didn’t care if it would take months or longer before they would spend a dinner, just the two of them alone together. She wanted him and he wanted her too. It wasn’t a secret that things were rushed. But seeing as though he was crushed by it, she let it slide. His earnest effort to let her know his words were true made her want to do her best. Hence her current dilemma of needing to know the things that her husband wanted.

“You’ll be exhausted from driving by then. How about we just stay in bed and hold off on that dinner for now?”

He sighs.