Chapter 35

"What?" Keefe asked slowly.

"The Council has decided to ask for everyone involved in the rescue of Sophie and Calla to testify in Gisela and Fintan's trial." Oralie explained.

"Yea, but aren't they being tried for any other terrible and cruel thing they've done?" Sophie asked incredulously.

"This trail will just be for the recent crimes committed by them. After this sentencing, and we've collected ourselves, there will be another one for the past events."

The group let out a collective sigh.

"Wait so when is the trial?" Biana asked, Sophie noticed Biana was running her hands over her scarred arms.

"A week from today. We wanted to warn you, so you could have time to prepare." Oralie stated, Bronte was looking at Calla guiltily.

Dex scooped Calla up and held her protectively.

"What are you not saying, Bronte?" Sophie demanded.

"The council wants Calla to testify. She's able to talk, and she witnessed everything that was done. Including being one of the main witnesses to Fintan slashing Sophie. Arlo is the other main witness."

Shouting by everyone followed that statement.

"She's not even 1 yet!" Dex accused.

"She's a child!" Fitz added.

"You're going to traumatize her!" Biana cried. 

Sophie, Keefe and Calla were the only people who were quiet. All their friends and family were yelling. Even Sandor and Ro.

"Be quiet." Sophie said quietly.

No one listened.

"Be quiet!" Sophie said again. Keefe looked to her, yet no one else listened.

"Shut up!" Sophie yelled. Everyone went quiet instantly. "I'm sorry, but this decision, is none of yours to make." Sophie stated, she was mad that her friends thought that they could make the decision for her and Keefe. "So please keep your pinions to yourself, for our decision" Their friends were shocked.

Sophie features softened. "I understand that you guys care so much abut Calla and I appreciate that to the greatest lengths, but she is our child and I think that it should be our and only our decision to make." Sophie finished and realized Keefes hand was on her thigh.

All their friends nodded in agreement.

"Is it an open trail?" Dex asked switching the subject.

"Yes, anyone can watch." Oralie answered.

"People that Gisela and Fintan have caused direct harm and trauma to will have reserved seats at the front for the second trial." Bronte jumped in. "But for Sophie and Calla's it will be you guys and Sophie's parents at the front."

Dex nodded, surely thinking about the punishments and some possible ideas for the Neverseen members.

The ability restrictor memories flashed through Sophie's brain, even Sophie didn't want the Neverseen members to have to wear one of those.

"I'm sorry to put you on the spot," Oralie said to Sophie and Keefe. "We tried to dispute, but the rest of the council will only let you guys choose if Calla will testify or not. Sophie is obliged to unfortunately." Oralie was sullen. 

Sophie looked at Keefe, and he was as torn as she was. "Can we have the afternoon to decide?" Keefe asked, he heaved out a sigh.

Bronte gave a sharp nod. Sophie and Keefe looked to all of their friends.

"I'm sorry to ask, and I know that we haven't had a lot of time to catch up," Sophie started, but before she could finish Fitz interrupted.

"It's okay, Sophie. This is a big decision only you guys should make. You should definitely have all the time you can." He glared at Oralie and Bronte. 

Sophie gave them a sad smile. "Thank you." She whispered, closing her eyes.

One by one all of her friends hugged her, Biana first then the rest. A group hug, if you may.

"Take your time guys." Dex said as they all shuffled out of Hallowmist. Bronte and Oralie telling them to call one of them to let them know about their decision.

When everyone was gone, and Calla continued to open up her presents, Sophie leaned her head onto Keefe's shoulder, and he wrapped an arm around her waist, holding her tight. "What do we do?" Sophie whispered.

"I  don't know, Foster. I really don't know."

"She's been through so much." Sophie closed her eyes. "She's been through so much, when I had her I promised that she wouldn't have to go through what I did." Sophie opened her eyes to watch Calla play with her new dolls. "I couldn't even keep my promise for 3 months."

"Sophie. They were caught, finally. And it's because of you. You convinced Arlo to help us. You fought for our daughter and YOU sacrificed yourself for her. Sophie you have protected her. You have been a great mother and influence, and she will always know she is safe when she is with you." He kissed her temple and she closed her eyes again.

"Calla." Keefe called, "Come over here for a second, little girl."

"Yea?" She held her doll in her hand as she stood in front of the couch.

"Are you scared of a lot of people?"

"No."

"Are you scared of the people who took you and mommy? If you saw them again would you cry and be scared?" Keefe questioned again.

"No! They hurt mommy! My mommy, I wuv her. If they touch mommy again, I'm gonna punce dem in da face!" Calla said with a determined face. At 6 months old she was feisty.

Keefe chuckled and Sophie looked up to him.

"I think we have our answer, Foster."