Chapter 2

Examining the brown envelope one more time, she carefully broke the seal on the back and pulled out the letter. Her eyes widened in disbelief. She knew this had to be a prank. It was written in quill ink and stated," Dear Ms. Trista Jones, We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry." She froze after reading the first line of the letter. Witchcraft and Wizardry? What kind of sick joke was that? Magic isn't real. Right?

She encountered some weird scenarios in the past, but never thought anything of it. She never thought it was magic. Like when she got in trouble a few months ago for not putting her laundry up, and she felt this burning sensation on her hand as if a knife were carving something out on her hand. But they were just scratches right? It couldn't be magic right? Trista continued to read the letter and noticed that she had to be at a certain place at a certain time in order to board the train that took her to Hogwarts. 3 days... She had 3 days to make a decision as to whether she would go to Hogwarts and leave the life she's living right now behind her.

She finished reading the letter and decided to confront her parents. She marched down the stairs and saw her parents sitting at the kitchen table. "What is Hogwarts? and why does it say Witchcraft and Wizardry?" she said to her parents faces. "What are you talking about?" her dad said. "You know exactly what I'm talking about." Tris said boldly. Her mother clenched her fists together from anger. She noticed the letter in Trista's hand.

"Where did you get that?" her mother shouted. "An owl brought it to me." she said bluntly. "Now please answer my question. What is this school?" "Doesn't matter. You're not going." her mother said. "Yes I am." Tris said as her heart started pounding harder and harder. "No you're not. We made a promise to your-" and then she stopped. "A promise to who?" Tris said with raised eyebrows. "It doesn't matter!" her mother shouted. "Now hand me that letter and get up to your room." she said. "Why won't you tell me what's going on? I'm 16! I deserve to know what's going on around here!" Tris yelled. The room went quiet for a moment. "Is magic real?" Tris asked. "What? You're insane. You really need to go to therapy." her mother said.

"Tell me the truth!" Tris shouted. Her mother pushed back her chair she was sitting in. "You wanna know the truth? Fine, I'll tell you the truth you ungrateful twat. We aren't your real parents. Your parents made us swear that we would look after you. And yes, magic is real. It's very real. And we want nothing to do with it. And you will have nothing to do with it either. Your mom is a witch and your dad is-well, he is a wizard but that's not all he is. They felt it was too dangerous for you to be around them at the time so they gave you to us." her mother said. Tris just stood there and stared at the ground. She didn't know what to say.

"Why would you keep this from me for so long? How could you do this to me?" Tris said as her voice became louder and louder. As she spoke she moved closer and closer to her 'parents'. "Who are my real parents, and why haven't they come back for me? It's been 16 years!" she yelled. "Because we hid you from them!" her father said. "We don't want anything to do with this whole magic world crap and we don't want you to be involved in it either. With that being said, you will not be going to this school and that's final." he said.

"I can't believe you both did this. You aren't even my real parents and you don't want me to meet my real ones? You're both insane. My whole life I've always felt that I stuck out in this family and now I know why. You aren't even my real family. And the fact that you don't want me going to this school to be who I really am and to finally meet my real parents, makes you both insane. I'm going and you can't stop me." Tris said. She turned around and headed up the stairs when her mother grabbed her wrist and pulled her back down. She snatched the letter from her hand and walked over to the fireplace and threw it in the fire. "No!" Tris shouted. "Now, you don't know where to go. I guess you won't be going to this school after all." her 'mother' said with a slight smirk on her face. Now she knew magic was real because of the simple fact that there wasn't a fire burning there just a moment ago meaning that one of them, or both of them knew how to perform magic. Trista didn't say anything. She ran up the stairs into her bedroom and slammed the door.

She started to piece the story together little by little. Something must have happened to them in the past if they didn't 'like' to perform magic. Why they didn't want her to know about it, she wasn't sure of. But maybe when she met her real parents, they could tell her a little more about them. They had to know them well enough if they left their infant baby with them to protect her. But if they were possibly good friends, why would they hide her from her real parents? And why did she have to be hidden in the first place?

She pulled her suitcase out from under her bed and began packing her clothes and personal belongings. All of a sudden a loud thud could be heard from her window. She turned and saw that it was the owl again. She walked over to her window and slowly opened it. "It's you again." she said and the bird slowly got back to his feet again. He had another letter in his beak. The same letter he had brought her earlier. She opened it and realized that it was the same letter that she saw get thrown into the fireplace. She was confused for a moment, but turned back to the owl. "Thank you." she whispered. The owl then bowed his head and flew off into the night sky. Tris looked over the letter one more time and saw where she needed to go in 3 days time. To platform 9 & 3/4. How she'd get there, she didn't know yet. But what she did know is that she would be going, no matter what it takes.