○ 39

"I still can't believe you won, I genuinely thought I'd win," Mari huffed as the two began to put on their shoes.

Slipping her feet into her docs and tying her shoelaces she listened to Jinyoung speak.

"Maybe I'm just that good," he chuckled and Mari scoffed, standing up and placing her hand on her hip.

"Or maybe I just went easy on you," she picked up the shoes and her handbag and began to make her way to the counter- Jinyoung following suit.

"If that was the case, rematch. After we get back from Jeju I challenge you to a rematch," he suggested, placing their shoes onto the counter and walking towards the door.

"Oh you're on," Mari laughed, the fresh night air hitting their skin as they enter the alley way. Stopping next to the front door.

"So," pushing her hair behind her ear as she looked around, seeing his car parked just a block away but not wanting to walk near it.

"The Han river is close by, we could take a walk if you wanted-"
"Yeah sure! I mean... I'd like that," looking down embarrassed at seeming too over excited about taking a walk with the boy- she went unknown to the smile that pulled at his lips.

"Great, I think it's this way," he nodded to behind the girl and the two began to walk past his car.

The two stayed silent as they crossed the main road, the beeping of the cross walk light intensifying as it singled that it was turning red.

"I can't believe we leave for Jeju this week," Jinyoung said as they made their way towards the river. The lights of one of the many bridges coming into view as they got closer.

Mari slightly dropped her head, the grip of her left hand on her hand bag tightening at the mention of her old home.

Letting out a hum in acknowledgment, Jinyoung looks down towards the girl.

"Will you be okay, you know, like going back," he spoke carefully, hopping not to trigger any unwanted memories.

"Yeah, I should be fine. I'll be distracted with the tourism assignment and hanging out with you and the others anyways, so it should be okay," she tried to trick herself.

She can't keep dismissing what had happened and being sad, but she knew that after two years that going back would bring those unwanted memories to light.

She wished that they wouldn't, that she could genuinely go back and not recall anything. But she knew that no matter how long she spent away from the island, the memories would only come back stronger.

"I think you're so brave Mari," Jinyoung said making Mari stop in her tracks, breath falling deep in her throat at those words.

She saw Jinyoungs feet come to a halt a step in front of her and she looked up to see him looking at her with gentle eyes.
"Genuinely Mari. I know you haven't told me exactly everything that has happened, all I know is that you're so brave. And I mean I know even brave people have their days, so if you do- have those days I mean, like when you're there- look for me, okay? Because I'll be there for you," his words made Mari's eye sting with emotions.

It had been a really long time since someone had said anything like that to her and she could feel the clench in her heart.

"Thank you," was all she could say, throat squeezed tight as her eyes flicked between his own. Kindness and sincerity coating his softened eyes.

"There's no need to thank me, I just want you to know that if you ever feel alone while you're there, you aren't," an immense feeling of warmth filled her body in the coldness of the night. But there was still that feeling of guilt crawling up her spin to grip at her heart.