Heartglass 8: The Official Candidates

AZALEA

It was the day of the banquet. The day I wanted to erase from the calendar. The day I wished I could skip but I was not a sorceress or a mage. I could only accept and face my fate with a hope to survive.

The maids went back and forth as they prepared my jewelries, ballgown and shoes. While I rested my back on the bathtub mixed with rose petals and sweet-scented liquid bath soaps, some maidservants gently scrubbed my delicate and freckled skin and attentively washed my hair.

I was immersed in my own thoughts. I still couldn't figure out Prince Dion's plans. I doubted I could even help him hold everything together. I didn't think I would even last long in the selection. I would only wreck his plans.

I sighed unconsciously. Why me? Why does it have to be me? I still can't understand his intentions.

After my bath, they did my hair and makeup. They braided my red hair as they tied it in a messy side ponytail, letting some loose strands fall on my face. They even decorated my hair with jewelries, beads and blue gemstones. Despite these luxurious things, my mind still flew somewhere–mulling over Prince Dion's odd demands.

The maidservants helped me as I wear every layer of my black ballgown, designed with delicate embroideries in white threads.

My mother, Marchioness Camelia, checked on me with nervous glances when she entered my room. She was already dressed in a simple but elegant cobalt blue ballgown while her long red and ashen hair was tied in a high and elegant bun.

When I was done, my mother asked the maid servants for my jewelries. She helped me put on a string of white elegant pearls on my neck.

"Are you ready?" she asked, almost quietly as if she was in deep thoughts.

I quietly nodded, afraid that we would get too emotional.

Her gray eyes scanned my appearance in the reflection of the mirror as she stood behind me. She smiled kindly. "You're gorgeous, sweetie. Enjoy the night, all right?"

I smiled back. "Thank you, Mom. I will." Though I doubt it.

She silently nodded.

~~~

I secretly fidgeted in the carriage headed to the palace. I was with my parents and brother. They were all quiet and distant. Everyone was aware of what was waiting for me tonight but everyone chose to be cold. No words of encouragement or comfort. We were all detached.

In spite of trying to be strong, I was still anxious.

When my father, Marquis Frederick, heard the news of my participation, he told me to do whatever I think was best for me. He didn't ask me to withdraw or fight for the position. He was indifferent. I could only secretly glance at his distant amber eyes as we approached the palace. He already had gray strands on his honey blonde hair and he was wearing a cobalt blue formal suit.

While my brother, Forrest, who was already twenty years old, didn't voice out his opinion at all as if he was avoiding to be attached or to show any concern towards me. He was just staring with bored amber eyes outside while his elbow rested on the window and his one palm supported his left cheek. He won't even meet my eyes after hearing the news. He was dressed in a white suit for tonight's banquet.

If it was possible for us to love our family, I would definitely spoil him. With such gorgeous looks, I didn't think I could resist his every request. Unfortunately, he never acted like a child in front of me. Maybe his training was too difficult that he had no choice but to grow up right in an instant. He had the same hair as my father, honey blonde, so sometimes, no one could tell that we were actually related.