○ 63

A few months later~

Brine filled the sea air, flowing through the blades of grass and wildflowers, drifting leaves from trees and guiding them to their destination.

The sea salt scent tingled their noses, the familiar smell making their arrival known as they walked hand and hand up the gravel path.

Breeze flying through their hair, kissing their golden skin as they walked in solitude. The warmth of their connected hands being their form of support as they walked under the mental sign that stated "Cemetery".

Her fingers tightened around his and he looked down to her, giving a reassuring nod and she leaned into his side.

The sway of their free hands allowed the flowers they were holding to greet the fresh spring zephyr.

"Do you know where she is?" Mari asked Donghyuck softly, her heart heavy as she looked around at the many graves that laid on the edge of the mountain. The sea coating the horizon below them.

"She's over here," he guided her.
They were not in a rush, rather, taking their time as they prepared to meet their friend.

Letting out a shaky breath upon arrival, they stopped at the foot of the grave. Gazing upon her headstone, she read the words engraved.

Here lies Ma Eunjoo

2 May 2000 - 27 March 2015

Loving daughter, sister and friend
Rest easy our little flower

Mari felt her eyes begin to sting. Burning with a pain that matched her aching heart.

The grip on his hand grew tighter and Donghyuck looked down at her.
"Are you okay?"

Looking up at the boy quickly, she gave a tight lipped smile and a nod before looking back to where her friend laid.

"I just, this feels weird. A good weird, are you sure you didn't want to say anything?" She turned to face him, the corner of her eyes welling up.

Donghyuck ran his thumb gently over the back of her hand, looking down at his movement then to the grave.
"I've already said my goodbyes," he looked up, a calm smile shining back at her, "I think Eunjoo would love to hear from you. Plus, she's probably sick of me already with the amount of times I used to come up here every weekend."

Mari let out a chuckle to match his, a shaky inhale and a nod of her head indicated her comprehension.

Donghyuck let go of her hand and crouched down near her grave. Placing down his bouquet of flowers as his now free hand rested on top of the headstone.

The girl watched as he closed his eyes, saying a little something before giving the headstone a little tap and standing up.

"She's all yours," he said and she gave him a quivering grin.
"Thanks."
"Hey, you got this okay," he cupped her face.
"I know I know."
"I love you," she smiled up at him at his words.
"I love you too," he returned the smile and leant forward- placing a lingering kiss onto her forehead before walking away. Giving her some privacy.

Mari took a shaky breath and wiggled her fingers, staring at the grave in front of her and giving herself a moment to gather her words.

"Hi Eunjoo" she started. Fingers tightening around her flower stems as she felt her emotions start to rise- eyes already stinging and turning bloodshot.

Clearing her voice, she adjusted her weight on her feet.
She was ready.

"I am sorry for not visiting earlier, time just kinda slipped past me. They picked a good place to bury you, you always loved the sea." Her gaze flicked up to beyond the cliff where the blue sea met the horizon.

"I hope you're resting well and having fun up in the clouds. I am sorry I couldn't help you while you were on Earth, if I had known maybe things would have turned out different... I just wanted to tell you that you're strong, stronger than I would've been. I want to apologise for not being there for you when you needed me most. I have spent the last three years thinking back over every moment we spent together and I should have stayed with you when you asked me to, I should have not gone back home after our hang outs and spent more time with you. But I know you wouldn't want me to dwell on these things. You always said worrying made me look like old," she chuckle at the thought, choking up on her tears that streamed down her burning cheeks.

Her face screwed up, lip quivering downwards as she let out every thing she had pent up.

"I'm sorry Eunjoo. I wish I could've said goodbye," she spoke in broken structure. Words not fully coherent.

"I wanted to tell you that I'm doing well and that Donghyuck and I finally got together like you used to wish for," she smiled at the grave.

"I'm honestly not even sure if you're listening right now but I just wanted to tell you that," she choked out a small chuckle.

She was a little doubtful that Eunjoo was present, but when she felt the summers breeze twist and turn around her body, drifting the petals of a nearby dandelion around her- she knew.

Tears welled up again as she looked up to the sky, the presence of her friend becoming known to her and she let out a shaky breath.

The feeling of all the guilt she had been carrying lifting off of her making her feel light. A breath of relief exhaling through her lips knowing that her friend is as okay.

"Thank you Eunjoo," the breeze returned and she gazed at the headstone- imaging her spirit sitting on top of it and staring back at her lovingly.

"Thank you for staying with me through this Jooie. I promise I'll come back every year. I'll bring you your favourite flowers every year and talk to you, I'll update you about my life and what's happening. It'll be just like old times, I promise," bending down, she placed the set of baby breaths and roses next to the one Donghyuck had put on there.

"I have to go now," she said making her way to the side of the headstone and leaning her forehead on it.

"I love you Eunjoo," she placed a delicate kiss onto the stone. "Rest well, my little flower."

Backing away from the grave, she didn't look back as she made her way down the the entrance where Donghyuck stood.

Snaking her arms around his back and his automatically doing the same, "how was it?"

"Well. It went well."

Donghyuck leant down and placed a kiss on her forehead.
The two wrapping their arms around each other's sides as they began to walk down the hill.

The warm summers breeze meeting them once more before flowing away towards the sea.

And for the first time in three years, Mari was at peace.

Thank you.

—————

The End

Thank you everyone who stuck along with me through this.

I love you all so much.

I will write a little epilogue on the characters to finish off some questions.

But other than that, it is done.

I feel emotional I'm not gonna lie. I hope I didn't this book justice and I hope I helped at least one of you.

Thank you all, I love you. And please, don't feel afraid to reach out to me or to anyone else if you're struggling.

Thank you ❤️