Chapter 31

AVERY'S EYES SWAM WITH tears. Her shoulders tensed. Slowly, she laid down on her left side, her face sinking into her pillow. She pressed her fingers into her lips. Whatever was written inside didn't matter anymore. She thought it wouldn't matter. But she was wrong. The truth made her realize what she said was a lie. Truth did matter.

It mattered. All her pain came back. She died again.

One piece of paper brought back all the pain. Reading the confirmation of David's paternity turned a switch on. It showed all the agonizing events from the night she discovered everything. It felt like getting hurt all over again. The painful truth cut through whatever thread of hope remained for her and David. The truth was the murder weapon. She died again.

Avery realized she had cried herself to sleep an hour after. She heard whispers behind her door. When she checked her cell phone, she found several missed calls and messages from her parents and Shelly. Minutes later, she heard a knock on her door, and her best friend came with a food tray.

"Hey, your mom said you missed lunch. So I brought you food." Shelly placed the tray on the other side of her bed.

"Thanks, Shells. I'm glad to see you here."

"Eat now. You and the baby need to be fed on time. I'm staying so we can hang out here in your room."

Quietly, Avery started eating. Even without Shelly saying anything, she knew her best friend had come for a reason. She felt glad and relieved that she'd have someone to talk to. Once she finished her food, she broke the news to Shelly, who was checking her face in the vanity.

"David is the father... I was hoping he wasn't. But truth cannot be uglier. And it hurts." Avery's voice croaked.

"Oh, Ave!" Shelly sprinted and put her arms around her. "I came here when Art told me you got the result. Then, right after I learned the result, I slapped him in the face. If that will make you feel a little better."

"How?" Avery's forehead wrinkled. She pulled away from Shelly and looked at her face.

"After talking to you, he went straight to our house. He told Art everything you guys talked about and the result. Then he asked me to come here and stay with you. I told him I was coming without him telling me. That piece of shit." Shelly growled with anger.

"Our conversation ended well, I think. David insisted at the beginning, but eventually, he gave in. I didn't tell him many details about our move. Instead, I gave him pictures of my latest ultrasound. He gave me a copy of the paternity test result..." Avery sniffled.

"That fucktard! Maybe he thought you were exchanging gifts. You gave him Christmas, but he gave you Halloween in return!" Shelly's fingers started combing Avery's hair. "Ave, I can't tell you to stop crying. I know tears just come out. I'm here for you and also your parents. We're all here for you. You're not alone. You have all our love. So much love you wouldn't need any from that fuckhead! Though I credit him for asking me to be with you this time."

Avery nodded. "Good thing he went to you and Art. Our conversation must have overwhelmed him."

Shelly facepalmed. "What am I going to do with you, Avery Jackson? Stop worrying about him. You should at least be mad at him!"

"I know, Shells. But my heart says otherwise. I felt he meant it when he said he still loved me. It's not that easy to unlove someone. Though I already accepted the fact. Maybe we're just two people who love each other, but we're not meant to be together."

"You're so strongest woman I've known, Ave. I can only imagine what I could have done if I were in your shoes. Either I have skinned the whore, or I chopped David's penis into pieces!"