12.04

In the morning, Helena moved around the kitchen, hastily trying to get everything ready for the day

In the morning, Helena moved around the kitchen, hastily trying to get everything ready for the day. It was easier when she had Mark, and it'd taken her a good while to figure out how to deal with a two and a four year old all by herself.

But, now, they were a well-oiled machine.

"And there we go." Helena announced, as she finished packing up the kids' lunch, then moving to kneel by Cara. "Two lunch boxes down, getting your shoes on to go."

"Os sapatos." The girl repeated, in her mother's tongue.

"That's right, pequenina. Good job." Helena smiled up at her, as she began putting the little sneakers on. "But you have to remember what we talked about yesterday, ok? I know you really love speaking portuguese, but the daycare workers need you to speak English."

"Why?" The small girl whined.

"Because there are many wonderful languages around the world, and no one understands them all. In the daycare, they only understand English." She explained, finishing up in getting the girl's shoes on. At the pout the blond toddler gave her, she smiled. "Hey, Cara? It's like our own little secret, mine, Ali's and yours. Isn't that cool?"

"But I want Portuguese!" She tried once more.

"Then why don't I make you a deal?" Helena suggested, getting up and drinking the final gulp of her morning coffee. "You can say whatever you want in Portuguese, all of the time. You just also have to say it in English after. Deal?"

"Ok, mama." She agreed.

As Alice came down the stairs, she announced. "Look, mama! I got dressed all by myself!"

Smiling up at the brunette girl, Helena let out. "Good job, honey!"

However, as the girl came closer, the mother noticed her jacket was inside out. Not wanting to discourage the girl, she tried. "Hey, pequenina?"

"Yes?"

"Why don't I teach you something, so that you can become even better at it?"

——

"You're still not talking to Amelia?" Helena asked, as she and Meredith walked down Grey Sloan's halls.

"No." Meredith shook her head.

"Ok." Helena nodded, the two falling into silence for a moment. "So, Penny starts today. Do you want to talk about that?"