Chapter 27: The Black Forest

A/N: In celebration of me getting an interview, a new chapter! Since I'll be prepping for it, there won't be another chapter for a couple of weeks, but I am working on it! It's just more slow going. Also if I get the job, I'll be working from home, so possibly more time to write :)

-

The next day seemed to progress as usual. Everyone woke up, the Five earlier than usual to complete their punishment detail before training and then going to eat. Hunter didn't join them this time, although stated this was because he needed to cook his own food and since breakfast is a short meal, there would be no point in him joining them as they would likely have finished by that point.

Shifu again journeyed to Peach Tree Hill to speak with The Hunter, and ascertain whether he'd changed his mind or not about staying... "Hunter. The Five inform me that you joined them for supper yesterday." he spoke as both of them again looked out at the Valley of Peace below.

Hunter gave a nod to Shifu to confirm what he had been told as he cooked some rice noodles for his breakfast. "Indeed I did." He told the Master.

The old Master's ears perked up a little at that. "Hmm. That is... pleasing to hear." he said, a somewhat pleased tone in his voice to confirm what he said. "Have you given any more consideration to my offer?"

Hunter grew silent for a few moments as he seemed to be collecting his thoughts on the matter. "I... I admit, the offer is... admittedly more tempting now." Hunter said to Shifu, seeming thoughtful on the matter.

The hesitance in his voice was picked up on by Shifu. "Yet your past with Tigress is holding you back." he guessed and Hunter slowly nodded in confirmation.

Giving a sigh, Hunter checked on his noodles to buy some time to consider his words. Shifu picked up on the fact that anytime that subject was brought up, Hunter was more hesitant and needed time to think on what he was going to say, as if measuring his words more carefully. It made sense, this was a secret he'd kept under lock and key for years, with only Oogway to confide in about it. "Yes." Came the eventual reply. "I'm not used to being so... so..." Even The Hunter didn't seem to know how exactly to word it. "So... close to her, and... Talking to someone about it." Hunter eventually told Shifu. "About anything."

Shifu knew what he meant. "Someone who isn't Oogway." he nodded to Hunter, understanding his hesitation around personal things. "I know how you feel. I'm not the most approachable person, I am aware of that. But I am still willing to lend an ear." Shifu let Hunter know.

"Not right now. But maybe another time?" he asked, and Shifu nodded to him.

Giving a smile as best he could, Shifu patted Hunter's arm. "Of course." He said and left Hunter to his own devices for now.

After breakfast, everyone met up at the Training Hall for the rest of the day's training, including Hunter. He also seemed to be in slightly better spirits than usual. Tigress also seemed to perk up at seeing him, again only slightly, but still. "Hunter. Are you feeling well enough to train?" she asked him, what sounded like a bit of concern in her tone.

Hunter then chuckled a little at that. "Yeah, but I'm going to take it easy just in case. I'll use that sparring dummy since I should be able to manage that at least without injuring myself." he pointed out, not one to be idle it seemed.

Smirking a little to Hunter, Po spoke up. "Watch it on The Adversary, it's a vicious little thing." he warned him as the doors to the Hall were pushed open and everyone stood before Po, waiting for his word to begin their day. "Right. Umm... Begin?" Po asked, still unsure about leading the training some days.

Everyone bar Hunter for obvious reasons bowed and went to their preferred area to begin their day's training. Po was not exempt either, going to the Gauntlet of Wooden Warriors for some much needed brushing up. Hunter moved over to The Adversary and looked at it. He could swear it was shooting him a dirty look...