15| Tell us the truth

Her pain was my pain

Her pain was my pain. I couldn't stand looking at her like that. She was clearly in agony, yet she refused to accept assistance. Alejandro went to pull up her top as she trashed around. And just like that I was struck with a sight that would haunt me for the rest of my life as soon as he lifted her shirt up. Green, blue, purple, black, and yellow dots covered her midriff. It was unmistakably infected.

A second of silence passes and we all examine the damage layer in front of us. And like the flip of a switch, everything is flipped upside down. My hands shake beside me and I can see the boys going into chaos around me. Xander had begun throwing anything in his sight, Luca cried on the floor with Xavier seeming frozen in place.

The three oldest were the only two who seemed to be trying their best to stay calm but I still saw the way Alejandro kept his hands in fists with Lorenzo's glassy eyes. Antonio's death stared at anything in sight. I stay rooted to spot my hands glancing up at the ceiling trying to blink away the never ending tears but my fists shake in rage. Someone hurt my daughter. I was ready for murder.

An ear piercing screams echo in the room and everything stops. All heads snap to the corner beside the couch. Arabella stayed crouched down holding her knees together as she rocked herself back and forth. She shook violently and tears cascaded down her face.

My instinct drives me to move closer to her to bend down to her level. Slowly my arms reach out to her and just as I grasp her shoulder, she flinches back into the wall an agonizing scream emitting from her. It terrified me.

"Please, I'm sorry! I didn't mean for them to find out!" She screams aloud covering herself with her arms almost like a barrier.

She thought I was going to hurt her. My own daughter thought I could hurt her. The thought itself sends another wave of pain through my body. No parent has ever wanted to see the scared look on their child's face directed at them. Yet at that moment this was worse. She wasn't scared, she was completely petrified.

Alejandro's eyes looked stone cold but in that second he let his walls down slowly bending down to her level beside me. She immediately pushes herself back into the wall even further. Alejandro flinches away and it was the rarest time I'd ever seen him look so scared.

Suddenly she begins scratching at her throat, her attack already forming red lines across her skin. I knew if she kept doing that she was seriously going to hurt herself. Just as my panic sets him my arms wrap around her to hold her hands away from her. She thrashes in my hold but I don't let go. She cries out one last time until she passes out.

"We're going to the hospital now."

No one says a word before getting to the car. I gently picked her in my arms to lay her inside. The entire way there, all eyes are solely on Arabella except for Alejandro who swerves through cars, definitely breaking a few rules along that way. Though no one cared.

"We're here."

On the way there we had already called our family doctor, Marcus. He waited at the door and seeing Arabella in my arms immediately called a nurse over with a stretcher. As I place her down she's already being pulled to the ER. Please be okay.