Identity Theft

"That's one hell of a question." Jacob exhaled deeply.

"Well, I do like to be thorough. I didn't get my reputation in the business world for being naïve." I teased, hoping that my tone would lighten the mood, camouflaging the hate lingering in my heart.

"You know, I have never anyone as... as... audacious as you." He snipped back. The internal chuckle caused me to smirk. If only he knew the truth.

"I'm not a very patient woman, Mr Warner. It's bad enough that I am stuck in an elevator. It's even worse than I am stuck in an elevator with an ass. I have nothing else to do but listen to the story you are sharing. I mean, it's rather enlightening how a man can fuck up his life so easy. There is a part of me that is desperate to hear how you got there in the end." I retorted. His eyes darkened, his wolf fighting for control, as he didn't like the disrespect from a measly human being. Fortunately, the human in Jacob could subdue him. I could see that there was a part of him agreed with what I said..

"Well, I said to you Louise was the twin of Leanne?" He questioned. I responded with a curt nod. "Well, our town is rather small, and the bond runs strong with our... neighbours." I could see the clogs ticking in his head and how he was trying to work out how to tell his story to a 'human.' He took a deep breath, sighing.

"I knew Leanne. Leanne had a reputation for being charismatic and beautiful. Many boys would follow her like a lost puppy. It wasn't just her appearance that made you feel smitten. Her presence just captivated you." He reminisced. As much as I hated to admit it, he was right. Whether they were human or wolf, no one could resist my sister. No one but me understood what a manipulative and selfish bitch she was.

"So you didn't think Louise was beautiful? Being your soulmate? Being Leanne's twin sister? Doesn't really make sense to me?" I replied. I could never understand their logic about how I was the ugly sister, I mean for goddess' sake, we were twins! Identical twins.

He laughed at my response. "Yes, they were twins, but Louise was rather quiet and passive. She didn't have the presence that Leanne had." He pondered. "However, you're right, she was her twin, and she was beautiful. Her beauty was more natural and understated." He smiled wistfully.

"The town had heard about Leanne's philanthropic work. She spent a lot of time at the hospital and caring for the sick. Leanne was always at the day care centre playing with the children. Her reputation was pure. She was homecoming queen because everyone loved her. There was even a time where she saved a child. The child was about to be attacked, and Leanne saved her." He relayed.

"I remember the day the little girl saw Leanne. Her little legs running as fast as she could. She grabbed Leanne's, her eyes filled with stars. The little girl thanked Leanne for saving her, which shocked Leanne, but made her smile. This little girl had tears in her eyes and I remember Leanne cooing the little girl saying it was alright. The little girl's parents were a beloved part of our community. They were so genuine in their praise for Leanne. She risked her life to stop the little girl from being kidnapped." His face contorted with pain as he remembered the memory.

"It was at that moment that I looked at Leanne and decided I wanted her for myself. She would be an incredible mother. For the first time in my life, I wanted to ignore what they expected of me and I wanted to be selfish." He chuckled darkly.

"I didn't want Leanne because she was beautiful." He said as he raised his hands in defeat. "I won't lie. She was attractive. She looked like my soulmate." He shook his hands dismissively. "I wanted the girl who risked her life for a little girl. I wanted the girl who didn't have a care in the world other than the safety of a child." He said as he closed her eyes.

"Well, you got that girl, didn't you?" I snapped.

"No, I didn't, because Leanne didn't save that little girl. Louise did." He replied softly replied.

My mind flashed to that day. I was running in the forest, annoyed at my sister because she got me into trouble again. My parents' screams and shouts, calling me a slut, a disappointment. I clenched my fist, the tips of my nails digging into the palm of my hand. I cried. Begging them to listen to me, that I hadn't even had yet sex yet. I was still a virgin. I met my protests with empty ears.

As I was running through the thick green forest, a little girl was shivering in fear. I couldn't for the life of me work out what she was doing on her own. She was one girl from the day care that I played with. The centre was a place to escape my scolding parents. It was a haven where people didn't judge me. When I saw a wolf closing in on her, I didn't care about my life. I was unwanted. If I was to die, no one would miss me. This little girl that was loved and doted on by her parents could die. I could only imagine the pain that would cover their face if something happened to her.

Despite my wolf being untrained and weak because of the neglect of my family and pack. All I cared about was that little girl. I transformed and latched onto the back of the wolf and broke his neck without a thought or care of who he was. All I cared for was the small little girl with doe eyes. As soon as I dismantled the wolf, I transformed back to my human side, where she ran into my arms and sobbed like there was no tomorrow.

I immediately took her to the pack infirmary and left her there with the doctors. She had fallen asleep on the journey. The doctor's eyes looked at me with nothing but concern, but my sole focus was on the little girl. I gave him an account of what had happened before I went home and showered. There, a small sprout of hope grew inside me. Maybe this time my parents would be proud of what I did? They might even look at me the way they do to Leanne.

Oh, how I was wrong. A few days later, I heard about the little girl encountering my sister. I didn't blame the girl; we were identical. I did, however, blame my sister. It was the first time I felt the hatred for my sister bloom inside of me. She couldn't give me a break. She basked in the attention and glory of being a hero. My parents were in awe of her bravery. They just looked at me in disgust, asking me, "Why can't you be like my sister?" Not once did my sister open her mouth to correct them? Finally, I scoffed at my family's action. They wanted me to be like my sister? I would have rather cut my eyes out than be like her.

Even though I hated her actions, I still loved my sister. That was always my downfall. I couldn't bear for her to experience the hate that I did. My sister would not have been able to manage the treatment of my parents. Leanne was a woman who thrived on reputation. I don't know what she would do if I was to rip her facade. She would have broken at the maltreatment. All I could do was sigh when I recollected those memories. Before, I thought I was doing what was best for my sister and family, but now I see, I was just a doormat. I was nothing but a tool for her to use and trample on.

The heavy silence in the elevator was torturous. Words swirled in my mind, but lodged in my throat. The person he described was me? Did that mean he loved me? Wanted me to bare his pups? Shaking my head, removing the speck of hope that was scattered across the floor. My wolf growled in dissatisfaction. She didn't like that I was dismissing my mate's true feelings.

"Wow. Louise sounds amazing." I said. I never would have thought that about myself eight years ago, but here I am voicing the truth that I once was an amazing and caring person. It was nice to see that someone saw what I sacrificed for others, what I did for others. I enjoyed knowing that they acknowledged me for my selfless act.

"Yes, she is amazing. She is the strongest and humblest person I know." He mumbled.

"Wait, you said that you thought it was Leanne? How did you come to know it was Louise in the end?" I asked Jacob.

Curiosity may have killed the cat, but it won't kill me.

Edited 08/08/2023.