36 | Bucky

Z I O N

Z I O N

"Good boy," Xyla ruffled her dog's fur as it jumped on her excitedly. "Now do it again."

My eyes widened, and I pressed myself further into the couch.

"What do you mean, do it again?" Reaching out for a pillow, I held it against my chest to protect myself.

Xyla chuckled evilly, reaching her hands around the dog.

I was starting to regret buying the sandy-coloured creature. It wouldn't leave me for more than five minutes.

"Go jump on him, boy," She whispered into the dog's ear, loud enough for me to hear her.

My muscles tensed, and I gripped the pillow tighter.

"No," I looked at the dog straight in its dark eyes.

"Go, Buck, go," Xyla let him down on the floor, and my heart plummeted.

"No, bad dog," I told it with my finger jutting out toward the moving leg.

"Hey, don't say that to him," Xyla reached down and covered his ears before raking her fingers behind that spot.

The little hamster seemed to enjoy it as he panted and wagged its tail.

I used that moment to my advantage and shot out of my spot.

"Hey, hey," Xyla lowered her eyebrows and narrowed her eyes on me. "Spend some quality time with your child. He loves you."

Gulping despite my dry throat, I walked behind the couch, keeping my eyes on the left paw moving closer to me.

The one white-coated furry leg was the reason John decided to name the dog Bucky. Bucky had a left silver arm, and the dog before me had one white left leg.

"Don't be scared, Zion," Xyla taunted, gently nudging the dog forward.

It was eyeing me. It was ready to pounce, and I wasn't having it.

"I'm not scared," I scolded, not even realising I was still holding the pillow.

She eyed it, raising her eyebrows in question.

I dropped it to the couch excruciatingly slow while tracking every movement of the curious beaded eyes watching me.

"Stay," My voice dropped in warning as if I was lecturing a little child.

Somehow, the dog listened and moved its paw down. The almost white-furred tail stopped wagging, and I thought it let out a small whine.

I stared blankly, wondering why that sound played with my heartstrings.

"Good boy," My voice lightened, somehow trying to get that tail wagging again.

It did until it took a few hurried steps toward me, and I bolted straight for my room, slamming the door shut behind me.