• | Chapter Fifty-Three | •

Michael was sitting in his classroom, staring mindlessly at his desk as his students filed out the class toward lunch. He deeply sighed and buried his face into his hands before eventually grabbing his phone from inside the top drawer.

It didn't take long for him to find himself in the messages between him and Riley, staring at the threatening message that was sent. When he first received it, it left him beyond baffled and slightly hurt. He didn't understand why she sent it, then again he wasn't even sure if it was her at all.

He even asked her why she sent it, but never received a text back. He tiredly exhaled as he heard her sweet voice caress his ears from being sent to voicemail five times in a row. His eyes stung a little as he could picture her radiant smile and embraced her soft, contagious giggle that echoed in his mind.

"I just don't understand..." He mumbled after putting his phone down. He then jumped slightly in his seat when he heard a soft knock on the door frame of his classroom. He glanced up to see Jay standing at the doorway, hesitating to step inside until he gestured for her to walk in.

"Are you busy? I can come back at another time." Jay said, though she really didn't want to leave as she slowly approached his desk.

"No, it's alright. I'm not doing anything." He replied, locking his phone and placing it aside. "What brings you here? Are you doing okay?"

"No." She shook her head, now standing in front of his desk. "It's Riley."

His heart nervously throbbed in his chest as he slowly stood and walked around the desk to face her. "What's wrong?"

"I haven't spoken to her in over two weeks. She won't answer my calls unless I call from an unknown number, or reply to my texts. She's been distancing herself and she won't even talk to me at school." Jay couldn't stop the tears from falling. "Speaking of which, she's been skipping school, too. That's so unlike her, Michael. I don't know who else to go to."

"Calm down." He spoke softly, grabbing some tissue from his desk and handing it to her, but she shook her head vigorously as she accepted the tissue.

"I can't calm down, I don't know what's going on with her. She's always avoiding me and when I do confront her, she always gives me these abrupt, short answers like she's afraid to be around me." Jay hastily pulled out her phone and found her way into the messages. "And then she sent this little warning message. Why would she send that?"

Michael furrowed his eyebrows in slight shock as he cautiously took the phone and took one look at it. "She sent you that, too?"

Jay was taken back and stared at him. "What do you mean? You got the same thing?"

He nodded, walking back behind his desk to grab his phone and he showed her the exact text he was sent.

"What the hell?" She muttered, shaking her head in disbelief and tucking her phone away. "This isn't like her, Michael."

"Yeah, I know." He sighed, running his hand through his curls. "But honestly, nothing has been making sense for a while now. It seems like everyday is getting stranger by the minute."

Jay deeply inhaled, then looked at Michael. "I have one person in mind. I told my boyfriend it might be this guy she used to talk to, but he said it wasn't him because they always hang out."

"You think someone else sent this through her phone?" He asked and Jay nodded.

"It has to be Javen. It's the only thing that makes sense."

"Who is Javen? Does he go here?" He asked as anger simmered in the pit of his stomach, and Jay shook her head.

"No, he's a college student at UCLA. We met him at a party a few months back and they started talking." She explained and Michael immediately thought back to that day in the gymnasium when Riley told him about the awful dinner date.