Chapter Thirty

"We can't accept that."

"Why not?" Sky protests, staring at the waiter in confusion.

The waiter passes her the bill back. "Because it's over a hundred years old."

I cross my arms as I observe her rooting back through the bag that Thorn packed for me. I wasn't hungry but the siblings ordered a giant pizza that I took a few slices out of. I warned Sky that he'd come back and ask for money. After educating them on what 'money' actually meant, she found some curled up notes in the bag.

The two of them are like aliens. I don't think they've ever left the mountain before today. They know everything when it comes to werewolves but hardly anything about the human world.

Sky can't read so she keeps passing me the bills to inspect. The paper is crispy and smells strange. I've never seen bills like these. They are well-preserved but they're from a different lifetime.

"They're all the same," I say.

"This is ridiculous," Sky mutters, eyeing the waiter angrily, though I'm starting to think that he's the owner. "She says it's money so why can't you accept it?"

"Let me see that bill again," he says.

"I said it's ancient money," I mumble.

The owner takes the bill in his hand and inspects it closely. I can tell what he's thinking, he's thinking that he can probably still gain value from it. Value that is worth much more than one pizza and three coffees.

"On second thought, I'll accept it."

Sky is so confused. "But you just said-"

"He's going to accept it," I say. "Let it go."

"Fine."

The owner walks away and Sky finally relaxes. I reach over and I take the bag from her hand. He packed it well. There are clothes, food, bottles of water, herbs, money and one of his books. As I dig deeper, I feel something sharp at the bottom. A blade. He always said that he'd give me one if I ever went out into the world on my own. This bag summarizes my entire time with Thorn.

I finger the medallion around my chest. This was what he thought would be ultimate protection. He doesn't know how many other werewolf packs are in the area and neither does Sky or Dominic but they're just as paranoid about it as I am.

"Do you know how lucky you are?" Sky says as she watches me rub the chain. "Every female werewolf on the planet wants to wear one of those."

"Do you?" I say.

"Being mated to an alpha would certainly make life easier," she sighs.

"So werewolves can still mate? Thorn didn't know if losing it only applied to his pack or not."

"It only applied to his pack," she says. "They were cursed that way, the rest of us can still mate. There's only a few that are mated to each other on the mountain, ours are still out there. I guess being loyal to your pack means having to sacrifice your own happiness."

"Not anymore," Dominic says, smiling at her.

"No," Sky says. "We're free now." She drops her eyes and frowns.

"You're worried about your parents?"

"Our parents," she says. She keeps doing that. "Yes. Saving you comes first but not knowing if they've already been executed is not making the situation better."

"Cole has probably force fed them the herb," Dominic says. "So they'll be trapped in their human forms."

"Were they...?" I take a deep breath as I swallow my nerve. They both glance up and wait patiently for me to spit it out. "Were they there? Did I meet them?"