28. Tongue tied

For a moment I was tongue tied. Then words returned to me. "Well you should forget it. I didn't know what I was saying."

Griffin raised an eyebrow. "Really? What's the expression? A drunk man's words are a sober man's thoughts."

"I wasn't drunk though."

"But you weren't in your right mind either."

He was right. But there was no way I would let him know that.

I shook my head. "Absolutely not."

"So you don't like me?"

"Never have." I was lying through my teeth and by the smirk on Griffin's face I was sure he also knew it.

"For someone who doesn't like me, you seem to care a lot about Brittney and I."

"I don't care," I said quickly, maybe too quickly. "I just feel bad for her."

"Feel bad for her?" he echoed. "You barely know her."

"You've been leading her on," I exclaimed. "I sympathise with someone who has gotten their heart broken."

He shook his head. "I told her from the start that I didn't want a relationship."

"But you knew she did and still continued to see her. You encouraged her."

"Are you telling me I should be with her?" Griffin said quietly, his voice holding a slight edge. "Do you want me to ask her to be my girlfriend?"

"No!" I exclaimed without thinking.

"No?"

I laid down with my back to him. "You can be with whoever you want. You can sleep with whoever you want. It's none of my business."

"I only want to be with one person, princess," Griffin said softly. "And it's not her."

For a few seconds I was quiet and could only hear the sounds of the nightlife outside the tent. Griffin sighed and I felt him sit up and turn off the torch, plunging us into darkness.

"Can I ask you a question?" I asked quietly once he'd laid back down.

"Yes."

"Why don't you do relationships?"

He laughed under his breath. "I'm not sure what I was expecting but it wasn't that."

"Wait," I interrupted and laughed. "Let me guess, you had an ex girlfriend who probably slept with your best friend and now you trust no girls which is why you only sleep with them?" I joked.

He didn't respond.

My eyes widened and I rolled over. "No. Surely that didn't happen?"

"Not quite, but almost," he said in a quiet tone. "Last year I was in a serious relationship, or so I thought."

"What happened?" I asked, curiosity eating me. 

"The morning of my hockey final I found another boy in her bed," he said. "It was one of the other team's players. Apparently they'd been seeing each other for a couple of weeks."

My heart broke for him. That was a pretty shitty situation. I reached out and squeezed his hand that was resting on his stomach. "I'm sorry that happened."

He mindlessly ran a finger over my hand, tracing my fingers. "It's fine. I'm completely over it now."

"Yet you're still sworn off relationships?"

"What I look for in a relationship changed after her."

"That sounds pretty sad."

"On the contrary, it's rather fun." He rolled over so we were face to face. "If you want I can show you how fun it is."