𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧!

appreciation moment for the minecraft ending poem because wowza does my heart hurt rn

ok anyways this is bonding/filler chapter i promise it's getting better oopsies oopsies

clay's wheeze echoed in her ears loudly as she died for the eleventh time, due to the endermen that plagued the barren wasteland. "you're such an idiot."

she scowled. "i didn't want to wear the pumpkin head, it makes it even harder to see."

"but you're not supposed to look at the endermen! just hit the end crystals."

"not all of us are as good as you when it comes to that, clay," she retorted, genuinely becoming frustrated. she'd gotten out of the ice-cold bath for this, and clay wouldn't stop pushing her buttons. iris suspected that he knew something was going on with her and he was just trying to get a rise out of her just to get her to feel something, to say something, or to mean something.

"here, here, here," clay said, flying around the world and destroying some of the crystals for her. "now kill the dragon, but only when it comes to perch on this little bedrock thing."

"it looks like a dick."

clay wheezed. "you have no verbal filter." she didn't say anything, hitting the dragon with her axe and jumping at the same time, watching the little bar at the top go down one by one.

clay cleared his throat over the discord call, and she knew that he was about to try to make conversation. "so, uh..."

"there we go," she interrupted, hitting the dragon a few more times before it disappeared and the monster started fracturing into purple pieces of light. it rained xp and she ran around to collect all of it, more because of the little jingly sounds it made when she levelled up. clay's skin was rather cute, it being a pixelated, blond-haired boy with a lime green jacket and white pants. odd, and the colors kind of clashed, but she couldn't judge.

"what now?" she asked. he gave her the instructions to jump through the portal, but click through the minecraft end credits. "why should i skip it?"

"it's just half an hour of poetry, basically," clay responded. she hadn't skipped it yet, eyes skimming over the words as they slowly went down her screen.

"It can read our thoughts," iris read. "that doesn't matter. it thinks we are part of the game. and the next line is, i like this player. it played well. it did not give up." her heart started becoming heavy. all because of a few pixelated words from a video game. god, she was soft. she blamed it on the fact it was so late at night, and that the day with rowan earlier had been exhausting.

"you don't have to read it all, iris," clay laughed quietly. feeling like he was impatient, she skipped through it all. but their call didn't end there. she stopped sharing her screen as they descended into silence, and she pulled up youtube to watch a whole recording of the words that appeared. "so, um... rye, how was your day?"

"uneventful," she replied. "rowan's taking me to his brother's game tomorrow, unfortunately, because it's the seniors' last game. i don't really want to go, but i know it'll mean a lot to trevor."

does it know that we love it? that the universe is kind? / sometimes, through the noise of its thought, it hears the universe, yes. / but there are times it is sad, in the long dream.

"nice." she could hear his typing through his mic, the little green discord bubble light up green. "so are you and rowan, like... becoming official?"

"i don't know," she murmured. "there was that one night, but... he hasn't exactly asked me out on a date. and i haven't really asked what we are. i'm not sure i even want to know."