054

THE DEPARTMENT OF MYSTERIES-054

"Over here," Harry says, making his way over to a telephone box and opening the door when they got to London. "Come on!" he urged the others. Diana and Sam hurried in, followed by everyone, then Harry last. "Whoever's nearest the receiver, dial six two four four two!"

Ron did it, his arm bent bizarrely to reach the dial; as it whirred back into place a cool female voice sounded inside the box.

"Welcome to the Ministry of Magic. Please state your name and business,"

"Harry Potter, Diana Black, Sammy Black, Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger," Harry said quickly. "Ginny Weasley, Neville Longbottom, Kodaline Scamander, Benjamin Edwards, Delaney Edwards, Luna Lovegood. . . we're here to save someone unless your Ministry can do it first!"

"Thank you," The coolly female voice said. "Vistors, please take the badges and attach them to the front of your robes."

Eleven badges slid out of the metal chute where returned coins normally appeared. Diana scooped them up and handed them to everyone before adjusting her own.

Diana Black

Rescue Mission

"Visitors to the Ministry, you are required to submit to a search and present your wands for registration at the security desk, which is located at the far end of the Atrium,"

"Fine!" Diana snapped loudly. "Now can we bloody move, please?!"

The floor of the telephone box shuddered and the pavement rose past its glass windows; blackness closed over their heads and with a dull grinding noise they sank into the depths of the Ministry of Magic.

A clink of soft golden light hit their feet and, widening, rose against their bodies. Diana bent her knees and held her wand as ready as she could in such cramped conditions as she peered through the glass to see whether anybody was waiting for them Atrium, but it seemed to be empty.

"The Ministry of Magic wishes you a pleasant evening," The woman's voice said.

The door of the telephone box burst open; Diana toppled out of it followed by the others. The only sound in the Atrium was the steady rush of water from the golden fountain.

"Come on," Harry said quietly as he helped his girlfriend to her feet and the eleven of them sprinted off down the hall, Harry in the lead, past the fountain towards the desk where the watchwizard was, but the seat was deserted.