30: Public Message

About a week after Zayden had become part of our mission against the Shadow Legion, the hectic amount of research and flow of information had started slowing down. And Kyle finally decided to come to school.

I pulled my coat on as I got myself buckled into Kyle's car, and a feeling of comfort already swept over me at the familiar lull of his car. 

"Turn the heat on," I whined at the car that had cooled over night.

"Give it time." Kyle replied with a roll of his eyes. I turned my head and muffled my face into my coat to conceal the stupid grin etching across my face. It was nice to have Kyle back, even to talk about the most pointless things.

As I stepped out of the car once we got to the school, I pulled my coat on tighter, the cold wind blowing causing me to feel chilly. I stuck my hands in pockets, and realized there was a scrap of paper in my left pocket. I thought it was a receipt, but when I pulled it out, it was something else.

In cursive writing, the paper said, it's not too late.

I frowned, not knowing where that had come from.

"What is that?" Kyle asked, absently glancing back at me.

"I don't know." I shrugged it off, sticking it back into my pocket.

The day went on normally, like Kyle had never been gone. I definitely felt more comfortable with Kyle beside me, without half a dozen people throughout the school protecting me while dressed up as ordinary people. I never knew who was watching, even if it was to protect me, and that really bothered me.

In my math class, I put my sleepy head down on to my arms, resting it on the table. The teacher was too busy writing something on the board, and I was sitting in the back row so she would never realize I was trying to doze off. I looked over to Kyle, who was sitting in the seat beside me. He was doodling something in his notebook—a really ugly pig, oh wait maybe it's a cat—while his mind seemed to be elsewhere. His dark gold lashes, several shades darker from his hair, which were abnormally long, cast a shadow on his brilliant green eyes, eyes I could tell were green from a mile away. Seriously, that's how bright they were. His jawline looked particularly hot from this angle, and his lips were settled in a small smile. His lips were so rosy-colored, as if he had just eaten cherries or been kissed. My cheeks started reddening as I remembered how soft those lips could be, how his lower lips were just the perfect size on mine.  Damn, what I would do to kiss him right now.

"Why are you staring at me?" Kyle whispered in his low, boyish voice.

I quickly looked away, "I'm not staring at you."

"Oh come on," Kyle teased, his smile blooming into a full smirk. "I'm a spy, remember? Obviously I'd see you staring at me so intently."

I shook my head, too embarrassed to admit it. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Cassie," he whispered, and my heart skipped a beat at his new nickname for me, "you don't have to lie to me." I blushed, and I looked up at him through my lashes, and his eyes flashed with devilish amusement.

"I know I'm attractive, I don't mind if you stare at me, just tell me beforehand so I won't have to be embarrassed." His joke suddenly ended the moment of heavy tension.

I jumped right on his joke. "Oh, but that simply won't do. I like watching people...in their natural state."

He cocked a judgemental brow at me. "Don't get all Edward Cullen on me."

I smirked. "I didn't know you were in the Twilight fandom."

He seemed a little caught off guard of my obviously wrong statement. "I'm not—"