Chapter 11: Play Ball

♤Season 8, Episode 7♤

Angela laughs, Mark picking her up by wrapping his arms and around her waist and spinning her around.

They get back into practice as Alex runs into the outfield to get the ball. Mark makes his way back to first base to catch the ball before throwing it to Robbins, who misses it by jumping back in fear.

"Not bad, not bad," she smirks at her boyfriend.

"You like that?"

"I said not bad, don't get a big head," she smiles, kissing him.

They faintly hear Derek call out to them, "Sloan. Karev. Hey, focus. Hello?"

Pulling a part, Angela focuses back as Lexie hits one over Alex and Baileys head. Owen yells out, "Run to third, don't stop. Yang, Grey, you-you could at least stand up."

Cristina shouts back, "Hi, honey."

Everyone starts leaving, Angela is one of the last off the field but can't help making a comment, "You know, I wouldn't look so smug. You may be better ball players, but you're still crap surgeons. All your patients come to Seattle Grace cause they know we save lives. What was your death rate last year? 13.4%? Maybe you should spend less time on the field and more time studying to save lives."

♤♤♤♤

Back in her scrubs, Angela leads Cristina to their patient, "You said it was something great. Is it a transplant? Oh, is it a heterotopic transplant?"

"No.

"But you said great. Is it-is it big?" Cristina keeps asking.

Opening the door, Angela chuckles, "Well, it'll probably take you all morning. Mr. Felker, this is Dr. Yang. And she will be performing your angioplasty."

He smiles at her, "Nice to meet you."

Cristina and Angela face each other, whispering, "Any first year can do this. I thought I was gonna be working on a heart."

"We've talked about this. Cardio surgery isn't all the big, special, amazing surgeries. It's also things like preventing people like Mr. Felker her from having a heart attack," Angela smiles, knowing how this will end.

"I mean, I thought I was gonna be working on a heart in the OR," Cristina clarifies.

"Hey," Mr. Felker gets their attention, "Is someone gonna roto-rooter my veins out?"

Angela hands Cristina the chart, "Yes, Dr. Yang was about to get started."

♤♤♤♤

Smiling, Angela makes her way to check up on a postpartum mother for Grey. Finishing the check up, she and Grey go outside the room to talk, "It could be postpartum cardiomyopathy. I'll transfer her to telemetry."

"Okay. Hey, Dr. Karev. Why is Cristina doing an angioplasty?" Grey questions her.

"Excuse me?"

"I was just wondering, and I know she was, too. Is-is this all going somewhere? I mean, I know it's none of my business, but-" Grey keeps talking.

Angela cuts her off, "You're right. Look, as a first year, you do an angio to learn a technical skill, as a fifth years, it's about learning respect. Respect for the heart disease that Yang will see for the rest of her career. It starts right there in the artery. To understand the end, you have to go back to the beginning," she goes to walk away before turning around, "Oh, one more thing. If you ever question how I run my service again, we'll have problems."