| twenty three ; a king and his queen

the shadow in the light

chapter twenty three; a king and his queen

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

"i've tried so many times to think of a new way to say it, and it's still i love you."

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

a/n: this chapter is by far the longest, 3.5k words! i tried to make this chapter as fluff as i possibly could so i hope you enjoy!

"excuse me, are you two hunter y/n and hunter sung?"

the couple turned around, looking curiously at the man who spoke their names. they were met with a foreigner, which surprised them since he spoke korean in such a fluent way.

"yes, we are," y/n said, looking at him with caution.

"it's a pleasure to meet you two. my name is adam white, and i'm from the federal bureau of hunters." adam introduced himself and passed his business card to y/n. "you can call me adam."

y/n looked down at his card while jin-woo continued to look at adam. "please excuse me for showing up like this out of the blue, but you two are hard to track down. i even stopped by your office, mister sung."

ah, is he the man jin-ho mentioned? jin-woo wondered.

"what business do you have with us?" jin-woo asked quickly.

"i would like to share some information with you, miss y/n and mister sung." adam spoke.

"information?" y/n questioned and looked back up at him.

"there's probably not a single country or institution in this world that can provide you with the information i'm about to share. besides us, that is."

"why would you like to share such information with us?" jin-woo asked.

"we benefit from sharing knowledge with special individuals, such as yourselves. i was originally going to be the only one paying you a visit today," adam began. "however, it seems that the raid in jeju island left an impression on our deputy director. he wishes to have a meeting with you two in person."

y/n and jin-woo both looked at each other, curiosity flooding their eyes.

"i must say this is unprecedented. the deputy director will explain the rest in detail. i have a car waiting nearby, would you like to meet him?"

jin-woo tugged onto y/n's hand, slowly backing away. "i don't know if the information you wish to share with us is reliable. we'll give you a call after giving it some thought."

"we are?" y/n innocently asked.

"how silly of me to forget. a good hand should never be kept hidden when striking a deal," adam said. "an upgrader... is an awakened being who can enhance the abilities of another awakened being. ever heard of them before?"

jin-woo's eyes widened at the mention of it. he looked at y/n, silently asking her if she wanted to go. the hunter merely shrugged her shoulders, wanting to follow jin-woo's decision.

jin-woo looked at adam and nodded his head. adam grinned and led the way to the van just around the corner. y/n kept quiet the entire way, only looking out of the window as she watched the scenery pass by.