The Lost Woods

Link found himself in a dark place. Fog surrounded him, as an eerie breeze rolled across his face. He was alone, his animal companions nowhere in sight.

Confused, he looked around. The fog was so thick, it was practically impossible to see anything for more than a few meters. He wandered around aimlessly, looking for somewhere he could see. As he glanced around, trying to find something, he suddenly caught a glimpse of a faint, blue light off in the distance. It was faint, small and far off, and as its light pulsed in the mist, he heard a small, jingling noise coming from its direction. It was as though it was asking Link to come to it.

He ran forward, hoping that whatever it was, it would help him find his way. But then he suddenly felt something tug at him: a pair of hands holding him back. Reacting quickly, he spun around to try and see who was trying to stop him... only to freeze as a chill went down his spine. He was looking himself in the eyes. And then the dream ended.

Link woke up to the feeling of someone licking his face. His eyes darting open, he suddenly saw Taima, her front paws on the side of his bed, licking his face. Gathering himself, he moved his head away from her and got out of bed, reminiscing on what had happened before he had passed out. After his excursion to Hyrule Castle, he'd returned to the stable and had fallen asleep before his head had hit the pillow.

Collecting his thoughts, he looked back on his dream.

"What was that which I saw? Was it another vision? Hmm... I shouldn't waste time thinking about it here. I should get going."

Putting on his cloak, he exited the inn. Having collected a fair amount of memories, he decided it would be best now to return to what was important: training himself by finding more shrines by exploring the area.

Having access to the map of the region, he found something particularly interesting on the map. It looked like a massive forest, surrounded by water, like a natural moat guarding a castle, simply listed as: the Great Hyrule Forest.. There was only one way across: a piece of land connecting the forest to the mainland.

Taking Epona out of the stable, he got onto her back and gently tapped her sides with his boots. "Hiyup!" he said, spurring her forward as Taima followed after them.

They rode north, on a small dirt road surrounded by trees, past foxes and boars scampering through the forest, and bokoblins who could do nothing but watch as Link rode past them safely. Just as they passed through the entrance of the giant forest, he suddenly stopped Epona, Taima having to dig her paws into the ground. Confused, she tilted her head, looking at her master.

Link gazed forward, as he saw what lay before him. Fog. Thick white fog, filling the forest, keeping whatever that was inside hidden He could only see a few meters into the woods before the mist covered it up. He heard a crow caw from somewhere above, and the trees felt like they were staring at him. Carefully, he got off Epona, he stroked her mane.

"Stay here." he ordered her. Then, turning to Taima, he motioned for her to follow. Obeying his orders, she went in with him, leaving the white maned mare alone.

Stepping through the ruins of an old, stone wall, he carefully looked around. It was so strange, so eerily similar to his dream. He looked around carefully, trying to make sure that there was no one else around.

"So that's what it was. It was a premonition of what was to come. But what is here?"

Looking around, Link suddenly spotted a small, lit brazier off to his left, the fire lighting a path for them in the clouds of fog.

"Come on." he said to Taima, as the two headed towards it. Just as they came close to it, they suddenly saw another brazier off in the distance. And then another, and then another. Link followed the trail of fires, hoping they'd lead him to something.