16. {heritage talk}

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

"i couldn't get any sleep at night." liam rambled, "i was scared the berserkers would get me in my room. everytime i closed my eyes, i would see them."

the two teenagers were in the mccall's living room, moonee was cuddled up on the couch while liam paced in front of the television. the girl placed another spoonful of vanilla bean ice cream in her mouth as liam talked about his feelings. it was clear she was uninterested, but liam didn't stop.

"i-i couldn't even turn the lights off in my room, without seeing them." liam continued, "some nights i would lay in bed with the lights on."

"hmm."

"and-and i would even see them at school. around the corner of the hallways or in the changing room." liam explained, "and sometimes i would just hear them. their growling and heavy breathing."

"yikes."

"how do you do it? how do you fight these monsters, see all these things and still act like nothing's happened." liam questioned.

"i'm use to it." moonee shrugged.

liam could feel himself getting irritated by her blunt replies. "are you even listening to me?"

"oh, i'm listening." she nodded, "ice cream?" she held up the spoon and tub to him.

"do you even care?" liam inquired.

moonee sighed, "honestly?" liam nodded, urging her to continue, "no, dunbar. i don't care. i'm currently planning my dinner outfit in my head."

liam's face fell. he had spent ages talking about his trauma and emotions to moonee, thinking she out of everyone would understand, but she didn't even care.

"i mean, i'm just disinterested in this topic." moonee corrected herself.

"that's just a nicer way of saying you don't care."

"i know." moonee agreed with a mouthful of ice cream, "tried to sugarcoat it."

liam was in disbelief, "what is wrong with you?"

"nothing." moonee raised her eyebrow, "not everyone wants to hear what you have to say, liam."

she said his name with such force that liam was offended. he picked up his backpack and began putting his things into his bag.

"leaving already?" moonee frowned, "i've still got a few hours until i have to go."

liam looked at her in appal and zipped his bag shut. he flung it over his shoulders and went over to the front door. once he was out, he slammed it shut and left the residence.

"weird." moonee hummed as she reached for the tv remote.

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───