six

"Hey, I need to place an order for a spider man cake with buttercream icing. I want the words to say 'Happy birthday Daloni'" Heaven specifically told the baker, talking on the work phone.

"When would you like to pick it up?"

"Next Tuesday is his birthday, I'll pick it up that day when you open, I just sent over the cake." Heaven replied, emailing the baker a picture of how she wanted the cake to look.

They went over a couple more things such as prices, package deals, and treat bags. After the conversation was over, Heaven pulled out her phone to check on the delivery for the gifts that she ordered.

She ordered him a customized spider man powerwheel truck, lots of toy trucks and legos, she was even having a human sized character come dressed as spider man. She wanted it to be all about Daloni, and she was gonna make sure he felt special.

Jayda had called in because she had a huge hangover from the night before. Heaven had agreed to pick up Jayda's work being that Jayda always did it for her. Both girls were just waiting for Sharon to hire more people.

"Heaven the board wants to see you now." Sharon mentioned, walking up to the desk with her clipboard. She was very stern when she told Heaven that the board would hear about her large investment.

Heaven slightly sighed but followed her boss to a big conference room. Walking in she mentally cursed seeing six white men in suites and three white women in dresses. Even though Sharon was black, she never had any of her workers back.

"Good afternoon Ms. Bridges, please sit." The CEO of the hospital spoke, holding her hand out to any seat that Heaven wished to sit in. Heaven picked the seat closer to the door.

"So you probably know why you're here. It's been brought to our attention that you made a large investment into one of your patient's Daloni Brooks. Tell us about that."

"With all due respect, I don't understand why me making a payment to a child's treatment is such a bad thing. Daloni has no family and the system failed him, yall were literally going to dump him back into the city's care just for him to die." Heaven said, with frustration clearly laced in her voice. She wasn't going to hold anything back. Now was her chance to speak up.

"Nurse Bridges, are you aware that Daloni is literally on a ticking time limit. He could die at any moment. He isn't getting any better." Mr. Grey sighed. He was Daloni's doctor.

"Y'all giving up on him just like everybody else. I don't understand how people give up on little kids when they have a chance. He's made it this far, he just needs support from his doctors and nurses." Heaven objected.

"We've learned that you give him more attention to him than your other patients, such as sleeping with him. You do know that nurses or doctors are supposed to avoid all attachments at any costs."

"Are y'all about to terminate me or not? Daloni is four, battling a bone cancer that spreaded to his lungs and now his brain. He has no family, he has nobody, and he's always in pain. All of my other patients get visitors every single day. Daloni is alone. Yes we're attached to each other, but at the end of the day I'm his nurse and my job is to make sure he's comfortable whenever I punch in on the clock." Heaven stated.

"What if your child was in my care battling the same cancer? Wouldn't you want me to treat him or her with love. Y'all are failing this damn kid!"

Everyone in the room sat silently appalled by her small outburst. This wasn't their first rodeo with Heaven, the first time they met was when Heaven defended herself against a drunk patient that came into the ER. They knew Heaven always said whatever she had to say.