CHAPTER 36 ↠ final decision

Weeks passed before Bea received any answer to her letters

Weeks passed before Bea received any answer to her letters. When she did, she kept it a secret from Michael, since he didn't know she had sent letters in the first place.

It took only a couple of days for Bea to finally decide.

To give up all the adventures left to leave seemed hard, but to not see the faces of the people she missed the most was harder. And, if everything went well and as she expected after four months away, she would still have her freedom, perhaps a place at Shelby Company Limited and, if she really had the best luck, the chance to travel across Europe with someone that better fit as her companion.

It took her a couple of days to gain the courage to tell the news to Michael, and she later regretted not telling him sooner and in a nicer way.

After a long night of partying, they had ended up staying in the bar after it closed, and Michael fell asleep on the couches of the nicer tables. The bartender and owner already knew them both, and he'd done business with Shelby Company Limited through them, so he had just let them stay there unbothered.

Sun was already shining through the windows, but Michael didn't seem fazed. Bea stood up and got a glass. She went behind the empty counter and filled the glass with some water. Then, with it full, she went to where Michael was laying, got within arm's reach, just enough to be able to pour all the water in his face but still keep a distance.

With the cold water hitting Michael straight in his sleepy face, Michael sat up startled.

"What the fuck?" he shouts.

"You're late for work," Bea affirms.

Michael rubbed his face to dry it a bit before responding to Bea.

"I'm never late for work. I decide when I start or not. And how about waking me nicely?"

"Sure, I'll just tell Tommy you decided to have a different schedule every day because here, in New York, it's like you're your own boss. And, I was waking up and sobering you up all at once."

"That's the gypsy blood in you," Michael jokes.

"Oi, you're part gypsy, too, even though you ignore it."

Bea sits down on a chair at another table, feeling sick from the alcohol from the night before.

"I, uh... I bought a ticket," Bea says in a low voice.

"A ticket? For what? Is there a concert you want to go to?"

"No, no... A ticket for a boat trip," she pauses to let Michael start putting the pieces together. "To Liverpool. To go home."