End of Year 1 (chapter 6)

Author's note:
It's the end of year 1! I apologise for the late publication - it took a while to write.

I hope you enjoy! The start of year 2 will be out tomorrow (later today)😇

PS: I just want to thank anyone who reads this series. I'm definitely enjoying writing it!
———————————————

Word count: 2.6k
Warning: Mentions of death

Severus can't sleep, just like any other night. He hasn't even bothered to change into something else - he's still in his teaching robes.

Sighing, he decides to walk through the halls. Perhaps he can catch any students who should be in their bed.

Or even better - he might run into Quirrell.

He leaves his private chambers and strolls through the dark halls. After a while, he spots someone.

It's Quirrell.

When the man with the purple turban notices the Potions Master, he widens his eyes and tries to run away. Of course, the pathetic man fails.

Severus grabs him and pushes him to the nearest wall, making sure that he can't leave.

His action makes Quirrell gasp. "Severus, I-I... I-" he nervously starts before he's interrupted.

"You don't want me as your enemy, Quirrell" Severus calmly and slowly says.

"What do you m-mean?" the man asks, acting all innocent and oblivious.

"You know perfectly well what I mean" Severus states in a serious yet irritated tone.

He suddenly feels a third presence. As he turns around, he hears breathing.

Severus slowly reaches out his hand only to grab the thin air. Weird, there doesn't seem to be anyone there...

He quickly spins around and returns his focus on Quirrell. The stammering man looks frightened.

"We will have another little chat soon. When you've had time to decide where your loyalties lie" Severus warns him.

Just then, Argus Filch interrupts them with his annoying cat following right behind him. "Oh, professors. I found this," the Caretaker says as he shows them a broken lamp.

"In the Restricted Section. It's still hot. That means there's a student out of bed" he explains, giving a creepy smile.

Severus doesn't think twice before quickly leaving to find the dunderhead student. He bets it's Potter. Argus and Quirrell follow him.

Alas, their search is in vain. They never found the student.

Severus grumpily retreats to his private chambers. He wonders if there indeed was a third presence.

If whoever was there hadn't shown up, he would have successfully confronted Quirrell about him trying to steal the Stone.

After a while, sleep takes over his body.
______________________________

Severus keeps an extra good eye on Quirrell for the next few months. They haven't been easy months, though - the poor Potions Master has been quite busy.

Not only has he made sure that Quirrell doesn't steal the Stone, he has also been grading papers, dealing with obnoxious students, keeping an eye on Potter as well as preparing for the first-years' Potions exam.

As if this wasn't enough, he now has to listen to complaints - from his Godson.

"It's not fair! Professor McGonagall gave me detention, too!" Draco exclaims, sounding furious.