Ch 57: The Oath

Adelaide desperately didn't want to be there. But amongst the group of exiled Lancastrians, Tudor supporters, and the occasional York defector, Adelaide was unable to slip away amongst the eyes that lingered on her. She was one of Henry's closest companions, some even calling her an honorary Tudor, and her presence was practically mandatory. With Henry's pledge, he was going to solidify everything. His claim to the throne was already strenuous, but making a public oath to marry Elizabeth after defeating Richard would unite England and guarantee his succession.

That didn't mean it was easy to bear witness, though, and Aldeiade tried her best to smile and appear thrilled about the current events. She stood between Jasper and Kayden, the latter having arrived the day before alongside the rest of their party. Roland had departed with Charity and was nowhere to be seen in the crowd. It was for the best, though, despite Adelaide's presence as the boy's father, many had begun to suspect that Roland was actually Henry's bastard. It was unanimously decided that the less they were seen together, the better.

It was currently the 25th of December. But rather than being at home celebrating, curled in front of the fire with some warm tea enjoying the snow and firelight, they all stood in the beautiful church staring at Henry. The people had gathered in swarms around him, filling up every available space in anticipation. In attendance was the Duchess of Brittany herself as well as the Brittany chancellor, Pierre Landais.

Not focusing on anything or anyone, in particular, Adelaide found she barely heard the words that left Henry's mouth as he began speaking, addressing the large room with a booming voice that demand respect and attention.

Watching him, standing so tall and proud, his eyes fiery and passionate, his face handsome and regal, gave Adelaide conflicting feelings. On one hand, she was proud of him. So proud that tears threatened to spill. It seemed like only yesterday they were children fleeing to Brittany together. Henry had always sworn that he would take back England, right the wrongs done to him and his family and his people. But now he was so close they both could taste it. He had support, people were rallying behind him; they wanted him to be King.

On the other hand, though, Adelaide's chest kept squeezing painfully. Through her pride and admiration and love was clawing desperation to keep him. To selfishly demand that he abandon these people, the ones relying on him, and leave England for her.

She wanted to cry and scream and laugh and cheer, but could only manage a steely expression. Because if she allowed any of the emotions she was feeling to take even an inch she would crumble into an unrecognizable mess. She hoped that if anyone was glancing at her, which was highly unlikely as Henry was speaking, they would interpret that she was calm and confident. Not that she was barely suppressing the tirade of conflict swirling in her head.

"As the rightful heir to the Throne of England, I swear to you all here today, on the day of Christ's nativity and before God, that should I be King I will marry Elizabeth of York, daughter of King Edward, and unite the houses of Lancaster and York," Henry's declaration rang throughout the cathedral like bells. "This is my Oath to you all."

Cheers erupted around them. Homage was poured upon Henry lavishly, exorbitantly. The people already saw him as their King and were treating him a such.

People began to shout that they would rather lose their lands and possessions, their very lives before they permitted Richard to rule over them. And Adelaide couldn't help but think, somewhat offhandedly and slightly inappropriately, that hatred was a good motivator. It would have made things much more difficult for them if the King that Henry was trying to usurp was actually liked by the people.

By the end of Henry's pledge, he was swarmed and Adelaide continued to watch. Kayden had moved closer to her, but he didn't look at her. She was grateful that he didn't try to comfort her or ask if she was okay because they both knew she would lie and say she was fine.

Jasper, however, moved to be by Henry's side as the latter began to converse with Pierre Landais.

"You have Duke Francis' support," the chancellor was telling him. "It is his solemn promise to assist in this cause of yours to reclaim England."

And there it was. The finality that Adeliade had been waiting for. There was no turning back now. If Henry succeeded in dethroning Richard he was going to be King. And if he wanted to stay King he was going to marry Elizabeth. He couldn't retract his statement. Wouldn't be able to change it at a later date. Too many people had witnessed his oath and too many powerful people were now lending their assistance on the condition that he follow through on his oath.

This was, from all accounts, a marriage by proxy.