Chapter 53

Previously on Chapter 52

"Hey! You wanna upstage me, kid?" The man said. Aang jumps on the stage and starts dancing goofily. I gulp when the crowd stare at us. "Hey! Those kids are the Avatars!" Someone in the crowd said, making Aang froze. I can see Fire Nation soldiers walking towards us.

Oh uh...

-Jeong Jeong: The Deserter-

Y/N P.O.V

We run away, as the soldiers starts chasing after us. "Follow me! I can get you outta here!" A man said. I turn to follow him, with the others close behind me. I hear an explosion and turn my head to see the man have thrown a lot of explosive at them.

"Over there!" He said, turning around. "I'm calling Appa!" Aang said. He takes out his whistle and blow on it. "I hope he can really hear that bison whistle!" Sokka said. 

"This way!!" He said, as he makes a sharp turn to several alleys. But not long after that he comes running back our way. "Okay! Not this way!" He said.

We turn around to corner only to be blocked by the guards. The man throws another explosive at them. We quickly run past them as they're distracted. We make another turn only to be blocked by a giant supply of explosive. I hear a groan and looks up to see Appa.

"Appa! Down here!" I yelled. He lands in front of us facing the guard. He use his tail to send a huge air at the guard, sending them tumbling backwards. We climb on top of Appa and flies off.

The man throws an explosive to the supply. As soon as we reached a fair distance. The fireworks starts to blow up, sending colorful lights in the sky. I stare at the fireworks in awe.

"Hmm... I'm surprise that it's still visible even in a broad daylight...." I said. "Who cares about that! At least we're safe!" Sokka said. "Okay, Grumpy pants" I said. He pouts at me, making me chuckle.

"Nice touch setting off the fireworks..." Aang said. "You really know your explosive" Sokka said, as he turns away from me. "I'm familiar" he said. Sokka's eyes widened in realization. "You're a Fire Nation soldier!" He exclaimed. "Was... my name's Chey..." he said.

After a while of flying, we land and make camp. "I serve a man. More than just a man, he's a myth, but he's real, a living legend. Jeong Jeong the Deserter. He was a Fire Nation general, or wait, was he an admiral?" He trailed off. "He was highly ranked, we get it" Sokka said. I nudge him gently. He just let out a sigh. Chey didn't pay attention to Sokka's sarcasm.

"Yeah! Way up there! But he couldn't take the madness anymore! He's the first ever to leave the army - and live! I'm the second, but you don't get to be a legend for that. That's okay though. Jeong Jeong's a fire-vending genius. Some say he's mad - but he's not! He's enlightened" he said.

"You mean... there's a Fire-Bender out there who's not with the Fire Lord? We've gotta go see him! He can train us!" Aang said, turning to look at me. "I don't know, Aang... like I said before... we can't skip elements... Fire-bending is the last element we need to learn" I said. "Y/N's right! We're not gonna go find some crazy fire-bender" Sokka said.

"He's not crazy! He's a genius! And he's the perfect person to train the Avatars! That's why I followed you to the festival" Chey said, sounding annoyed by what Sokka said. "So it was you who followed us?" I said. "Oh... yeah. Sorry about that. I didn't mean to make any of you feel uncomfortable" he said. I just give him a small smile.

Sokka lets out a groan. "Look. Thanks for the help. But we're leaving for the North Pole in the morning" Sokka said. "Sokka, Y/N... this could be our only chance to meet a fire-bending Master who would actually be willing to teach us!" He said, gesturing towards him and I.

"It can't hurt to just talk to him..." Katara said. Sokka turns to her looking very annoyed. "That's what you said about going to the Festival! Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me!" he said. I clear my throat, making him turn to me. I give him an offended look. His eyes softened when he sees that.

"Well... except for Y/N" he said. I give him a curt not and a grin. "But still!!" He said, turning around with a pout. "Watch out!" I said. He stops with his face really close to the sharp edge of a spear. I let out a sigh of relief. In a flash, we got surrounded by a lot of them. They're all wearing straw hats, light armor, wearing tribal make ups, and wielding spears.

"Don't move!" One of them said. "Easy there... we're not here for trouble..." I said, raising my hand in a surrender manner. "I know who you are... I know you don't mean trouble. Come with me" he said. I turn to my friends to see them shrugging. We start to follow them as they start to walk.

***

"Jeong Jeong told you not to look for the Avatars!" A man said, turning to Chey in anger. "Hold on, you know this guys?" Sokka said, looking at him. "Oh yeh! Lin Yee's an old buddy! Right, Lin Yee?" Chey said. "Shut up! Keep moving" he said.

He leads us to a hill that goes down. "Go on... he sees you only" Lin Yee said. "Oh, that's okay. We can talk later" Chey said, nervously. I turn my head to see a small cottage with leaves and logs. Aang take a step forward.

"Is that where Jeong Jeong is? We need to talk to him right away!" Aang said, grabbing my hand. He take a step forward, only to be stop by a spear shaft. "No! You two wait there! Go now!" Lin Yee said, as he pushed Chey forward.

"Don't worry! Everything'll be fine. He's a great man, great man!" He said. He walks towards the cottage. But I can literally sense his nervousness. I let out a soft sigh and turn to my friends.

"I guess we'll have to wait now, huh?" I said. Aang let out a sad sigh. I pat his back softly. I turn my body and take a seat on top of a stone. I look up at the sky and enjoy the soft breeze.

*to be continued*