Chapter 6

Chapter 6 - Closer

Holding one pencil and her notebook on her study table, Ochako stared outside the window where the garden was as her mother was watering the plants on a bright, sunny afternoon. Ochako was still in fifth grade and she was studying for her exams this April.

Due to her boredom and no interest in studies at that moment, she daydreamed, staring at the space in her garden. She saw her mother, wearing her sun hat gardening, digging the soil with the trowel, taking good care of her plants.

Lifting her pencil, Ochako mindlessly started sketching flowers in the space in her notebook. She then began colouring it with a red-coloured pencil inside the jar full of colour pencils. She looked at it after she finished. It looked messy with the colours outside of the outline of the flower. It didn't looked so satisfying so she quickly went downstairs and went outside of the garden to pick up a flower.

"Ochako? What are you doing here?" Her mom asked as she turned around, seeing her daughter at the back of her.

"Picking up some flowers." The other replied with a smile, looking at each of the flowers. "But I don't know which one to choose."

When she said that, she crossed her arms and pouted, still analyzing the flowers.

Her mom chuckled sweetly at her. "And may I ask what is it for?"

"I want to try drawing it!" Ochako answered with a big smile on her face.

"Draw? I didn't know you like drawing."

"I want to try!" She said. "But do you know which one should I draw, mom?" 

"Hmm..." The mom hummed, looking around the garden. An idea then came in her head. "Oh, I know! Ochako, come here." She gestured her daughter to come while she took a bag next to her.

Ochako looked over and watched the mom took something out of the bag. "Try planting these, I just bought it and they say they are beautiful flowers."

"But mom, isn't it just a seed?" Ochako asked when her mom gave her the flower seeds on her palm.

Her mom chuckled. "These are called carnation flowers, try planting them and when they grow and bloom this spring, you could pick up as many as you want and draw all of them."

Ochako's eyes sparkled with amazement. "Really? Are they really pretty flowers?" She said, holding onto the seeds.

She nodded in return. "Now, let's go plant them."

"Yay! Dad! I'm going to plant pretty flowers!" Ochako told her dad from across the garden, sitting down on the bench, reading a newspaper.

The dad looked over to his daughter, smiling. "That's nice. What are they called?" He set down the newspaper and walked towards them.

"Carnation flowers!" She answered, showing him the seed on her palms. 

"While we're digging it, could you fill in more water for us?" The mom passed him a water can.

He took it from her and nodded as he left to get more water.

"Now come here, Ochako." She called her daughter and started digging a hole in an empty space of the garden. "You placed the seeds in here."

"Can I put more, mommy?" She asked as she placed the seed in the single hole. 

Her mom laughed softly. "Of course, as many as you want."

"Yay! I can't wait to draw them!" She said with a wide, happy smile.

"Here is the water!" Just then, the dad arrived with a water can full of water. He squatted down and helped Ochako carry the water can to pour the water on the soil where she planted the seeds.