Hell of a Defensive Player

*Wesley's P.O.V*

I walked out of the lockeroom in full gear, my practice jersey a solid color leaving no details about my past. I had some old Marquette team jersey I could wear but I think poeple would ask questions.

I made my way over to the bench, noticing a group of players already gathered and a girl. I looked, no stared at her as I walked over to the bench.

Her long blonde hair fell down her back. She was dressed in a white cropped turtle neck, and black sweatpants with white air force ones. I watched her with curiosity wondering who she was. Coaches daughter, maybe a team manager.

"Glad to see you're here, are you getting in the ice today?" I heard the coach ask the girl.

A player? I shouldn't have questioned it I know its wrong, girls can play hockey too. But at first glance she didn't look like a hockey player. Looking closer I realized how jacked she was. Her shoulders bulging out of her turtle neck, abs slightly peeking out from under her cropped shirt. Though the sweatpants she was wearing were loose they didn't hide the muscles in her legs.

"No, not today. I left my gear at home all I have is my skates in the car." She said.

So, was she a player? Was there no consequence for forgetting your hockey gear?

"OK, well, if you ever want to hop in for practice... let me know. " he said slightly disappointed

I didn't make an effort to move closer to the group instead I stood to the side listening to the conversation curious. She obviously wasn't a player, but could play hockey.

As I looked at her one of my new teammates walked past in full gear heading towards the ice. The name Huxley with the number 40 on the back of his practice jersey.

"I swear everyone on this team loves my sister more than me." He stated as he walked past.

Sister of a hockey player, got it. I watched as she laughed along with two other players and the coach before she made eye contact with me. Her blue eyes looking into my soul with curiosity.

"You must be Wesley." Coach Mark said realizing my presence

He shook my hand looking at me with a smile.

"Um, just Wes is fine." I said, my voice low as I was slightly nervous

He nodded his head and guided me away from the group for privacy so we could talk.

"Wes, I'm coach Mark welcome to Rogersville I hope your move was nice," he paused for a moment looking at the ice as I looked with him, "on your past roster it said you were a defenseman, a hell of a good one too, so I'm putting you on the starting line-up with sophomore Leo Huxley."

"You allow sophomores on starting?" I asked, in past only juniors and seniors started.

"No, but Leo is good, really good." Coach said, "You two should work good together as a pair. Get to know him well and grow close as a defense pair. He's number 40."

He paused for a moment and took a deep sigh before speaking again,

"And Wes if you are having superiority issues, if any issues, you come to me not to players, not to Jack our captain, come to me. Dont handle it on your own, dont-"

"I'm not going to punch anyone." I stated cutting, irritated now what he was trying to say.

"I have faith you won't, but Wesley understand the measures I had to go to, to get you on this league after you were kicked out of your old one. The only reason you are here is because I'm missing a defensive player after our seniors graduated and you need a new league." He stated his voice firm.

"I understand." I paused and looked at my new team about to get on the ice, "do they know? About... about why I moved here?"

"No, it wasn't my place to say. Jack, the captain, is the only one who knows anything about you at all but he doesn't know why you moved."

I shook my head looking at the boy coach had pointed at. The number 54 with a C on his jersey.

"Now go get on the ice, let's see what you got kid."

I shook my head and entered the ice standing next to some of the players. A few looked at me weird, wondering who I was as I stood next to them.

"You're Wes right? I'm Jack." Jack said holding out his fist for me to fist bump

I cassaully fist bumped him back, realizing that this was the captain coach was talking about.

"Look, I was wondering for warm-up up if you wanted to skate with me and Carter." He asked while gesturing to the goalie.

"Sure why not." I said with a shrug, knowing this would be the time to get to know my teammates better.

"Great."he exclaimed as he started skating around the ice with me on one side and Carter on the other.

The two talked about anything and everything, I could tell they were best friends. Meanwhile I skated in silence for a few minutes before Jack spoke to me.

"You know you can talk dude, we don't bite."

I laughed at his comment and shook my head,

"I don't know you two that well, plus I don't know what to say" I said honestly.

"Say anything, we don't care. You're are teammate now, that's one thing we have in common" Carter said honestly

I smiled slightly looking at the two boys, I knew it was Jack's job as the captain to make me feel welcome but I genuinely thought we could be best friends.

"Where you from?" Carter asked starting conversation for me.

"Marquette." I awnsered honestly.

"Why'd you move?" Jack asked

I sucked in a small breath and looked around the rink, I hadn't prepared a lie yet. My eyes landed on the bench where coach was still talking to the hockey players sister. I looked at her curiously, wondering why she was still here.

"I guess I just got sick of my old town." I lied, finally replying.

Jack side-eyed me, not buying my awnser. He opened his mouth to ask more questions but I cut him off,

"Who is she?" I asked gesturing to the girl

"Who, Leah?" Jack asked.

"Yeah her, the only girl in the rink right now."

"Oh she's Leo's sister, she's a senior just like us and she practically lives here." Carter said giving me a run down.

"Can she skate?" I asked remembering coaches comment earlier.

"Can she skate? Hell yeah, she can play really good too we used to all play hockey together but with gymnastics they told her she had to quit hockey." Jack explained.

"She's a gymnast?" I asked, her defined muscle mass finally making sense.

"Was, she had a fall out about a year ago and quit. Hasn't gone back or joined a new sport sense, but she loves hockey." Jack said looking over at Leah with sadness in his eyes, "she won't tell anyone why she quit either, or why she won't join hockey." He finished.

I looked over at Leah one last time, many questions that I wanted to ask Jack and Carter left in my head but coach called us over to the line. Starting my first official practice with Rogersville hockey team.

Words: 1214