Chapter 9: The Grand Dukes Heir

[A/N: I'm surprised I wrote this in a couple of hours just now, usually it takes me a full day to write two chapters. So kids, don't say that I don't feed you!]

Dressing her into soft silk dresses, Celestine slowly was taught the basics in etiquette and philosophy regarding the nobles.

Some things initially taught by the head maid and butler, before Baroness Grayson a widowed woman living in the North began teaching her.

Having regular chats with her father and grandfather before he had to leave for the capital, stroking her head of white hair with a sad smile. He told Celeste that he'd write her a letter when he got to the capital, reading and writing already learnt being taught by her mother.

Gifts would appear: delicious sweet treats that she'd never tasted before, expensive dresses and accessories.

Given pocket money of 200 gold a month, though she had her own money which was much more than what she was given. She smiled shyly and gave it to Arian her maid to save for her.

Feeding the carrier pigeon a saucer full of sunflower seeds whilst she chuckled, replying to her fathers letter of complaint, talking about his annoyance with the Crown Prince wasting his time.

Wishing he could personally beat him up, which he later did do in a bet: promising that if he defeated him that he could do as he pleased. Otherwise he had to return to the capital and become Emperor and so that's what happened.

"Celestine it's been about 2 months now yes? Let's get you dressed for some sword training." Celestine Grandfather announced at breakfast.

Dressed in a black tunic and trousers, she strapped the onyx sword through her belt and walked through the stone courtyard with a solemn expression.

"Let's start by seeing what your level is, we're going to put the restriction shackles on you to see exactly how much you rely on your mana to fight." Picking up a simple steel sword from a rack of practice swords.

Emptying her mind her hands clenched on the handles of the black blade, the chilly winds wafting through the white hair.

Walking slowly around to look for spaces to target, purple eyes squinted at each other, Celeste attacking suddenly running towards him quickly lithe like a dancer.

Blades clashed frequently before her grandfather requested they eventually stop, panting roughly stubbornly carrying her sword even till the point of feeling her arm was going to fall off.

"Your stamina is inadequate, your offence is subpar but your defence is more than unsatisfactory. The only thing going for you is your stubbornness and tenacity, however if this was a battle against life and death your opponent would have taken advantage of your tiredness."

Her cheeks blushing as she rested her hands on her knees, listening carefully with embarrassment.

"You have become complacent with your magic abilities, I assume instead of blocking your attacks with your sword you use magic when your in difficulty."

Placing the blade back in the rack, he commanded sternly. "Our family are knights, we use Aura and you as your fathers only child will become heir. Until you are able to use the sword properly, you will not be allowed to use magic."

Standing up placing the sword through her belt, Celestine nodded in understanding. Feeling disgusting sweat staining her clothes she was desperate for a bath.

"Regardless of the weather you will exercise and practice everyday with an assigned knight, accompanied with other lessons for successorship."

Roughly brushing the dust from her shoulders, which he squeezed roughly making Celeste grunt in pain he continued.

"In six months time you will be sent to the capital to partake in the swordsmanship competition. Later on as you are sixteen, your identity will be revealed in the coming of age ceremony prepared by the Imperial palace."

Her eyes filled with sparks of motivation, looking at the old face of her grandfather she stood her ground and stated confidently.

"I will work hard."

*
"Grand Duke, why are you so hasty to have me placed on the throne?" Hugo asked him darkly his blood red orbs sharp, watching him as he sat across from him nonchalantly at his desk.

He hadn't managed to reach so far to the North, the Grand Dukes scouts dragging him to the western border. The sharp and unyielding man personally escorting him to the capital quietly, keeping him as a guest at his estate.

"The Empress cannot be trusted alone, being a Saint of the Holy Kingdom first before she is the mother of the Septimus Empire." He reiterated coldly, reading the reports of his subordinates which have through an 'accident' killed the Empress's loyal servants in the palace.

Whether the head maid died having fallen in a ditch, or choking of peach pitt. The close servants of the empress themselves being from notable houses, would be enough to provoke discord.

Why? Because they died in the Imperial Palace, specifically in the Empress's palace.

Further sweetening the pot by killing off the Empress's sponsors: Count Delaney, Baron Greene and Marquis Ashford, who are in cahoots.

Baron Greene a merchant that readily does trade with the imperial palace suddenly increased the prices of foreign goods and food products, embezzling money from the treasury.

Marquis Ashford the young Marquis recently having taken over the title is from a notable knight family, however due to the former Marquis heavy gambling the house in extreme debt.

The Delaney family who has much wealth and land in the lush areas of the south frequently does charity, sponsoring the common people and low aristocrats to help with their education and future prospects.

However, there is a hatred between the Ophelia duchy and the Delaney family, as it turned out that they betrayed their trust by there involvement in the poisoning of the previous Empress of house Ophelia.

Building up a private army and people to do the Empress's bidding, with conclusive evidence is enough to tarnish her reputation thoroughly.

Cleanly wiping away the Empress's traces in the imperial palace, lingering around like flies surrounding horse shit.