Prologue

Copyright  ©Horackova84 2021

All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced in any form on by an electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval systems, without permission in writing from the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review.

Welcome to "Tell Me". Please comment, vote, and add to your reading list.

This book contains sexual content and is for mature readers only. It also contains situations that might be triggering for some readers.

Thanks for reading ❤️

Iris

The day I left Mississippi for good was the happiest day of my life.

My mother had no idea that it would be my last day ever in her home, or in this town.

She believed I'd be like a normal college student, coming back for breaks and holidays.

But my mom always liked to believe things that fit her narrative, instead of the truth.

I was never going to come back to this town. Ever.

"Iris!" I hear my mother Gails voice yell from downstairs. She has the tone she only lets me hear, and I know that means I better hurry. I grab my shoulder bag, making sure my camera is inside, and get my small suitcase.

I hurry out of my bedroom, taking one last look at the room where I spent the majority of my time in this house. It was my sanctuary.

I sling my bag on my shoulder and shut the door. I'm not bringing much with me, I refused to bring a ton of the designer clothes my mother had filled my closet with that I had never worn, unless I was forced to go out to some stupid, fancy event her and my step-father made me attend.

I also left the debit card he got me sitting on my dresser. I'll never take a cent from that man again. My tuition is being paid for from my hard work in school, and I'm living off of savings from my after school job I had the past three years.

I only packed my favorite t-shirts, jeans and a dress I love from before everything in my life had changed. "Well it's about time," my mother says, eyeing me disapprovingly as I make my way towards her.

"Sorry, I just had to make sure I didn't forget anything." And minimize the time I have to be with you before we leave to Rochelle's house.

She purses her lips, and unfolds her arms, walking over to grab her keys. "Well, let's go. I'm going to be late for my lunch appointment with Betty if we don't get movin."

"Ok.." I say fighting to not roll my eyes. So sorry to inconvenience you. I spent the entire morning alone upstairs, despite the fact that I was leaving today. And now I'm getting a guilt trip that she will be late to go get mimosas with her best friend.

We finally make it out to her car and drive to Rochelle's. Rochelle has been my best friend for years. She moved in to the house next door to me when we were just 13, with her brother Blake and her mother. That was before my mother met my step-dad and she finessed her way into the nicest neighborhood in Canden.

When we get to Rochelle's house she's already waiting outside for us, and smiles as she sees my mother's Mercedes pull in her driveway. I get out of the car and get my things out of the backseat, and my mother gets out of the driver seat, smiling for the first time today.

"Hey there Rachel! You all packed up and ready to go?" She asks sweetly. Rochelle gives her a tight smile, and comes over to hug me. Despite how long we've been friends, my mother still calls her by the wrong name, and Rochelle gave up correcting her.

She knows my mothers charm is all for show. She's got a split personality, but Rochelle knows them both.

"I'm very excited ma'am, and yes, I'm all packed up. My brother and his fiancé are meetin us at the airport over there," Rochelle says squeezing my arm.

My mother nods and glances at me. "I hope it's no trouble that Iris is staying with them too. I don't know what on Earth the rush is for her to leave so early, before y'all can even get in the dorms. But please, let Blake know we are so thankful for his hospitality." My mother says, and literally bats her eyelashes.

"I'll most definitely let him know ma'am." Rochelle responds with a sugary sweet, and equally fake smile, and I try not to laugh. She has her arm linked with mine and won't let it go. Always has my back.

"Well you give me a call when you get in Iris. Your dad sends his apologizes he couldn't be here to see you off today. He's so busy with the campaign," she says giving me a serious look.

"Step-dad," I grit out. "And I wouldn't have expected him to be here."

My mother glares at me, before turning to head back to her Mercedes, and getting inside. She rolls down her window and waves again, "I'll see you for Thanksgiving break darlin! Safe flight!" She yells out, before backing out of the driveway and leaving.

"Not fucking happenin," Rochelle mumbles next to me, turning us to go into her house.

"Not a chance in hell," I agree as we close the door behind us.