𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟕: 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐄𝐑𝐕𝐄𝐃 𝐀 𝐁𝐄𝐓𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐊𝐈𝐒𝐒

"Don't let what he wants eclipse what you need. He's very dreamy, but he's not the sun. You are."

BONUS SNEAK PEAK AT THE VERY END!

       DESPITE BEING THE DAUGHTER OF DEATH, ERIS LEWIS DID NOT WANT TO DIE. But it seemed like the fates had other plans.

   They were crossing the Potomac when they spotted the helicopter. It was a sleek, black military model just like the one they'd seen at Westover Hall. And it was coming straight toward them.

Eris was practically passed out in the back seat. Her hand rested against the window as sweat poured down her forehead. Summoning two spirits took more out of her than she imagined, she felt like she was about to pass out. But oddly enough she wasn't in any pain, she thought summoning two spirits would have the same amount to summon Icarus for the first time but all she felt was tired.

Percy glanced out the window, "They know the van," he said. "We have to ditch it."

Zoë swerved into the fast lane. The helicopter was gaining.

"Maybe the military will shoot it down," Grover said hopefully.

"The military probably thinks it's one of theirs," Percy said. "How can the General use mortals, anyway?"

      "Mercenaries," Zoë said bitterly. "It is distasteful, but many mortals will fight for any cause as long as they are paid."

   "But don't these mortals see who they're working for?" Percy asked. "Don't they notice all the monsters around them?"

    Zoë shook her head. "I do not know how much they see through the Mist. I doubt it would matter to them if they knew the truth. Sometimes mortals can be more horrible than monsters."

     The helicopter kept coming, making a lot better time than they were through D.C. traffic.

    Eris swallowed and she took a shaky deep breath. She needed to remain calm. She had gotten better at controlling her anxiety over the past two months but she knew if she got too overwhelmed it wouldn't end well for anybody.

    Thalia closed her eyes and prayed hard. "Hey, Dad. A lightning bolt would be nice about now. Please?"

But the sky stayed gray and snowy. No sign of a helpful thunderstorm. "There!" Bianca said. "That parking lot!"

"We'll be trapped," Zoë said.

"Trust me," Bianca said.

Eris held on tight to her seat as Zoë shot across two lanes of traffic and into a mall parking lot on the south bank of the river. With Percy helping Eris limp out the van they
followed Bianca down some steps.