157

"I'm here. I'm right here." Y/n whispered in a soothing tone.

Wanda's sobs were the only thing that y/n could hear. The continuous explosions around them, the gunshots, the yelling, the alien screeches, none of it mattered more than Wanda.

It was a heavy, heartbroken sob. Something that both Wanda had experienced before. Pure mourning and loss. It was a suffocating feeling, dark and strong. There was no source of happiness in sight. Memories of Vision flashed through Wanda's mind as she tried to deny the fact that he was gone, but whenever she opened her eyes, she was met with his corpse.

Wanda clung to y/n as if she was holding on for dear life. Her hands dug into the back of y/n's mission suit, gripping on to any material that she could get her hands on. Her face was buried deep into y/n's shoulder, her hair spilling over and probably getting in y/n's face, but neither seemed to care. She had completely crumbled.

Y/n's eyes were squeezed tightly shut. Mainly because it didn't feel right to be staring at Vision's corpse, and because Wanda's hair was in her face, but there was another reason. She was in pain.

Y/n had been thrown against the same tree, twice. And she seemed to slam into the tree with the same body parts every time. Her back, and the back of her head. So, Wanda clinging on and practically digging her hands into her back wasn't the most pleasant experience.

Y/n tried her hardest to ignore it and pretend as if she was completely fine, but it was hard. It felt like there were hot metal rods being pressed into her back, melting her skin. Of course that wasn't actually happening, but it sure did feel like it. Her whole body felt as if it was on fire from the pain. Not to mention the warm, dripping feeling that seemed to be gathering at the back of her head. She was bleeding in other places from cuts, but that blood was nothing like the sensation on the back of her head. She was too scared to even touch the back of her head. If she did, her hand would surely come back covered in blood, and she couldn't handle that right now.

However, during y/n's inner turmoil and struggle, Wanda suddenly fell silent. Y/n didn't even notice until she tried to rub her back, but was met with nothing but air.

She opened her eyes with a confused frown, scanning the area for places that Wanda could've disappeared to. But she was nowhere to be found. Y/n could've sworn that she didn't feel Wanda move away from her arms. She would've been far too heartbroken, and it definitely wasn't normal that she would've just left Vision's corpse like that. Something wasn't right.

As soon as y/n looked down at her hands, she'd realised what had happened.

Thanos had snapped.

The dust of Wanda had completely covered her, but that wasn't y/n's priority. That wasn't her priority at all.

She needed to find Bucky, and she needed to find Bucky now.

All of the adrenaline and fear coursing through her seemed to cancel out all of the pain as she forced herself up and onto her feet. "Bucky?!" Y/n yelled out, reaching up to her ear for her earpiece, only to realise that it had been knocked out during her fight with Thanos. She cursed under her breath, suddenly beginning to sprint away from Vision's corpse and through the forest. She'd last seen him somewhere in the forest, he had to still be nearby.

The noises of gunshots and explosions on the battlefield had turned into a chorus of screams and yells of desperation. People were getting dusted left, right, and centre. It was horrifying. Pure chaos. Pure terror.

Y/n ran as fast as she possibly could through the forest. Her mission boots destroyed the shrubbery underneath her with every heavy step, crushing every leaf and twig (and possibly bug) in her path. Her shoulders slammed into trees and people as she continued to sprint, but none of that mattered. The only thing that mattered was finding Bucky.

Y/n continued to yell his name, praying that he'd hear her over all of the noise. Half of the population was being dusted away. That meant that there was a fifty-fifty chance. A fifty-fifty chance for either of them to be dusted. Y/n continued to check her hands as she sprinted, making sure that she wasn't being dusted away. She had to find Bucky. If either of them were getting dusted, she wanted to at least see him first.

Her eyes were wide with pure terror as she sprinted past people that were disappearing into thin air. Y/n's heart was beating out of her chest, her breathing was fast, and her feet didn't stop running. She couldn't stop running until she found Bucky.

Y/n ran for what felt like hours - even though it had only been a minute or so - and she couldn't find Bucky anywhere. Tears of desperation were beginning to form in her eyes as she stopped in the centre of one of the open clearings. She continued to check her hands as she scanned her surroundings, but she didn't seem to be getting dusted.

"Y/n?"

Bucky. It was Bucky.

Y/n's head whipped around at the sound of his voice, but the spark of relief in her eyes seemed to disappear as fast as it had appeared in the first place...

Bucky let out an uneasy chuckle as he stumbled toward y/n. "This feels really weird." He murmured, glancing down at himself with a nervous breath. He was getting dusted. One arm had already disappeared, and the rest of his body seemed to be going with it. In a matter of seconds, one of his legs had disintegrated into dust.

All it took was that one leg. That one leg and he was off-balance. That one leg and he had fallen face-first. The small amount of wind that hit him as he fell forward was enough to turn Bucky's whole body to dust.

Thirty seconds. Thirty seconds and he was completely gone.

Y/n didn't even have any time to react. She was stood in the centre of the clearing, in complete and utter shock. Bucky had been right there, and now he was gone. A single tear rolled down her cheek as she tried to process some of it, any of it.

She could hear the rest of the Avengers around her, but she still felt as if she was miles away.

Nat's hand appeared on her shoulder, and Steve's hand took a careful hold on her arm. They'd obviously noticed all of the blood on the back of y/n's head, and the fact that she was stood in such an unsteady position. They tried to walk her out of the forest, but y/n had her feet rooted to the ground, her eyes still fixed on the spot where Bucky had just been.

Thanos had won.

They'd lost.