Year 2 Part 1 (chapter 7)

Author's note:
Here's the start of year 2! I apologise for the late publication. I made a mistake in the timeline, so I had to change it a bit. I hope you enjoy!
———————————————

Word count: 1.6k
Warning: Death threats

It's another school year... Great. Severus sighs in irritation before taking a sip of his water.

He did the usual he always does during the summer - reading, preparing for the new term, reading, brewing potions, reading, drinking firewhiskey, coming up with an excuse to stay in his home instead of going to Malfoy Manor...

It worked this year. Even though Lucius wasn't pleased, he let it slide this time. He will visit him at Hogwarts, anyway.

Apparently, he's going to buy the Slytherin Quidditch team new brooms so that Draco will become the new Seeker.

And of course, he's going to watch the match between Slytherin and Gryffindor later this year because of his son.

Slytherin better win this time.

In the Great Hall, the Potions Master is sitting next to the new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. Quirrell was absolutely annoying - but this man beats him.

To his right is Gilderoy Lockhart sitting - an incredibly irritating, incompetent idiot who smiles all the time...

Severus wonders why in Merlin's name Albus gave him the position. If only the stupid man would stop talking about himself!

"I hope you had a good summer, Severus. Mine was fantastic - but not without danger, of course. You see, I had to save a family from a vampire. Being the amazing and brave man that I am, I saved them in an instant. I gave that vampire a good scare, I tell you" Lockhart brags as he laughs, showing his pearly white teeth.

They are almost blinding the poor Potions Master.

Severus growls. "I'm sure you did..." he mutters.

As he's trying his best to ignore the obnoxious man who seems to only care about his appearance, he notices Y/L/N sitting next to Draco. He wonders if she did visit him at the manor during the summer.

Just then, Minerva starts reading the names of the first-years out loud. "Ginevra Weasley" she calls.

The red-haired girl slowly walks towards the wooden stool. She sits down as the Sorting Hat is placed on her head.

"Gryffindor!" the Hat shouts. Everybody at the Gryffindor table cheers loudly.

"That's my sister!" George Weasley exclaims as he claps.

"She's my sister too, you know!" his twin, Fred Weasley, says as he claps as well.

Severus keeps looking at the Gryffindor table, only to notice two particular boys missing next to Granger. Where is Potter and Weasley?

While he's in deep thought, he sees the Daily Prophet in Filius' hands when something catches his eye.

"May I read that, Filius?" he asks the Charms teacher.

Filius smiles at him. "Of course, Severus. Here you go" the small teacher says as he hands the Potions Master the newspaper.

"Thanks" he mutters as he quickly reads the page he wanted to have a look at. He can't help but get angry with what he's reading. A flying car - in front of Muggles? Who in Merlin's name is that stupid?!

Having a hunch who did this, Severus quickly leaves the Great Hall. As he strolls through the halls, he unconsciously looks out of one of the windows only to see a very upset and injured Whomping Willow.