Chapter 7.10

As Selena stepped into the lounge and picked up her tossed-aside shoes, the door to the right of the bar swung open and John Claes came into the room.

   "Did you catch Keith? he asked, his small black eyes twinkling with interest.

   "Only just," she said. "Thanks for the hint." She sat down on a sofa and began to skip her sandals on. She was still feeling winded and shaky after her high-speed run.

   "You were with him, weren't you, a few years ago? In St. Thomas?" He sat down beside her.

   "How do you know I was? I don't think you and I have ever met before," she said in some surprise.

   "Keith told me. When he came to see me a week or so ago. I was telling him about the job I'd been commissioned by Heather to do and I told him the names of the archeologists. He recognized yours straight away. It was then he offered to come in my place. I guess he wanted to see you again. Must have given you a shock when you met him again and weren't expecting to," he said with a chuckle. "Keith always was one for surprises. Mischief is his middle name."

   "Yes, I was surprised," she admitted. "I suppose, he's gone back to his yacht. He said he had a new one and had cruised down to St. Thomas. Will he be sailing back to Nassau, do you know?"

   "Guess so. Leaving tomorrow, he said."

   "Which way will he be going?"

   "Said he'd make straight for San Juan. Puerto Rico. If the weather cooperates, he'll do it in a day and a night. Then over to Puerto Plata, in the Dominican Republic, another long night run. Might take him two whole days. He's going to visit friends there. After that straight through the Bahamas and up to Nassau. I wouldn't think he'll make many stops in the Family Islands but will press right on, sailing day and night," said John casually.

   "Alone?" asked Selena.

   "I dunno." John shrugged his heavy shoulders. "He might pick up a crew in St. Thomas. A lot of the guys who crew on the charter yachts like to leave and go back to the Stated this time of the year and they're looking for free rides." He rose to his feet. "Well, I'll get back to the ship. Seems like we've persuaded Heather to do what you suggested. And I must say, it's a great load off my mind. I didn't feel to happy about her hiding the loot even though she offered some of it to me as bribe to buy my silence. I'll be seeing you later when the guys and I come u for dinner. And then there'll be the pleasure of diving with you to bring up some of that treasure."

   He left her with a wave of her hand and she walked over to the door beside the bar, went up the stairs.

*A/N: Please my patron in Patreon and read chapters in advance. My other works are also available there. Or if you just want to support me. Please look for creator Zetar086.
Love lots ♥️