||26||

"This place is huge!" I exclaimed looking at the buildings. Huge seemed to be an understatement. The place was so big but I could tell I hadn't seen a thing yet.

"And I thought Pearl International was big. This is fucking-" he was cut off by the man sitting at the passenger seat beside the driver-a guide.

"Mind your language young man."

"Sorry, sir." The guide smiled warmly. Soon, the car stopped before the Administrative Building. We alighted the car as our bags were carried away by some people.

"Umm..." I stared at those who were going away with our stuff. "Will they know where to keep them?"

"Yes. Now come along." He started walking and we followed him. I looked around. The once was large with staff trooping in and out. At the far end of the hall was a banner with what I assumed to be the school's emblem-a dark blue shield with a red stripe running across diagonally. On the upper half was the drawing of a creature around a scroll behind it were a crossing pen and a sword. The lower half was a round ball or globe. Just that. What a peculiar emblem.

Buchi and I followed the guide into an office. He handed us two booklets each. "This book will guide you and let you know what you need to know about the academy. They also contain all the rules and regulations. " Buchi hissed under his breath.

"Rules are meant to be broken."

"Not in Hughton." The guide said his green eyes twinkling with amusement. "Especially not for newcomers like you." He gave us a smaller book. "For maps to guide you around the school. They're very handy, don't lose them." I nodded. Considering the size of this school, it'd be a surprise if they didn't have this. The next thing he brought out was a smartcard.

"These smartcards are for all payments within the school. They do not work outside. They can also work as keys to your rooms. Smartcards are needed to access certain places in the school."

"How much does this hold?" Buchi asked.

"Five figures."

"How much does ours contain?"

"It has reached its limit. If your money runs low, it can be recharged." I heard a very loud sound.

"What's that?" I asked covering my ears.

"It's lunchtime. That's the alarm." He said to us. "Your uniforms are already in your rooms. You can go back to change or have lunch before going back. An escort outside the door will lead you."

"Thank you, sir." We chorused.

"You're welcome. Listen to me, if you must survive here, just stay on your own. Hughton is not a simple place. So much happens here. Know your place and avoid those below you and those above. Avoid them." He said with sadness as if talking from experience.

"Who are those above?" I asked and he smiled.

"The nobility, royalty and most of all, the imperials."

***

The whole hall became as silent as a graveyard the moment Buchi and I stepped in. "Jesus," Buchi whispered. "See how we grabbed their attention." I felt the self-consciousness creep in. I didn't like the looks. My heart was beating loudly. Buchi held my hand tightly. "Don't look at anyone's face. Let's go." We walked through a pathway to where lunch was being served. I still felt uncomfortable. Was it because we weren't yet wearing the school's uniform? Probably.

Buchi and I both ate spaghetti. Looking at all the foreign foods, I had a headache. I didn't want to stress myself. My brother pulled me to a table. The others had minded their business now except for the occasional glances. I looked around to see the arrangement. The tables here were arranged in circular order. At the very centre was just one table which the others circled. That table was only occupied by six people. Upon all the space. The table wasn't even small. After the centre table, a couple of other tables were arranged around it, then after it another. After the first three that were circling the table at the centre, the rest of the tables and chairs were at random.

Just after we finished eating, I heard that very loud alarm. I guessed it was the end of lunch. But strangely, no one moved an inch. Those seated at the centre table stood first. All six of them walked out before those in the second circle followed. Then the third. After those people had left, the rest of the students followed.

"Why did they wait for those people?" Buchi wondered aloud. I shrugged. I didn't know. When we walked out we saw the man who had been leading us around. "We're ready to go to our dorms now."

***

We had to use a car to reach. A car. That shows how far our dorm was. I was led first to my room. Buchi and I had to part ways. "I'll see you later right?" I asked as he hugged my waist.

"Yes. My room is 1002. We'll meet downstairs at the entrance later." He pecked my cheek and I did likewise. "Send me a photo of your uniform later. I'll like to see it." I smiled. "Bye."

"Bye." I watched him leave before swiping my card on the door and entering. My mouth dropped open at the sight of the room. Where were the bunk beds? Why was there a bed as large as mine back home? Why did this place look like a hotel suite?

I explored the room in awe. Not even a roommate. Ha! Nice! I opened the large wardrobe and in there hung my uniforms. They were beautiful...

Classes didn't begin until the next week so I had a few days to settle in. I was studying the rules. Ridiculous...they even dictated the type of earrings.

No mobiles out during lessons.

That was understandable. But a rule like...

All students are to have an hour of study after dinner, in the study hall.

Study hall. And this rule was written in red so it was compulsory. Would I be studying though?

...failure to do so attracts punishment from supervisors.

Perishable foods are not allowed. Takeaway can be ordered till 9.30 pm and packaging should be properly disposed of.

•No smoking or alcohol. Smoking is only permitted in the smoking area (as per legal requirements ). Smokers have to perform smokers duties at intervals, i.e. help to keep the area clean.

Smoking area? O Chi m. Well well...

Welcome to Hughton Academy, Chukwuoma.

Who missed me? Or who missed her? I'm back

Who missed me? Or who missed her? I'm back. This chapter is dedicated to my new followers and readers. I'm grateful.

I published because I'm feeling happy. Someone made my evening but unfortunately he's not on Wattpad. Thank you, dear.

Expect some changes in our characters. Expect some unimaginable things. Thanks for reading.