23 i'll watch our crown

23   i'll watch our crown

The air is crisp outside Aglionby Academy and Mercy shivers slightly. It's a uniform free day to honour their win at a regional quiz bowl. Mercy's taken advantage of this fact: a Dickie's t-shirt tucked into the safety of her mother's overalls that Mercy has attempted to scrub free of paint and oil stains with little success pulled over her tall figure. She stands out amongst the brand names and plaid pants, distinctly more casual, more penurious as Tad would say. Shoving her hands into the denim pockets of the overalls, Mercy adjusts the strap of her messenger bag with hunched shoulders.

An arm is heavy on her shoulder, Ronan's pale skin pressed against her navy t-shirt. The second-oldest Lynch brother had stopped showing up to their first period at the beginning of the week. It's a blessing in the shrouded disguise of him potentially failing Latin; a blessing that Mercy is for once thankful for. Even if it means they are one man down in front of Greenmantle. Mercy remembers the night before like a blur: Mr. Gray leaned down to her and Ronan to ask about dreaming him a new Greywaren to give to Greenmantle. Something that she blatantly refused to participate in or be near vehemently. Therefore, leaving them at a distinct crossroads.

Ronan walks on her left and Adam on her right with purposefully placed space between them. Together, they all trail behind Gansey with lazy feet, Mercy's boots kicking at the concrete cracks of the sidewalk. Gansey looks to be in his element, American-boy features complemented by the golden sun as Autumn begins to set into the roots of the campus and the group of teens heads towards the school office.

          "Dick! Gansey!" A voice breaks through the breeze, vaguely familiar but the name ultimately escapes Mercy. "Gansey boy! Richard Campbell Gansey the Third."

Mercy doesn't look over her shoulder. She nudges Ronan with the elbow by his waist. He raises a brow without looking at her. She raises one back.

          "Ganseeeeeey!"