November Part 1

Daphne POV

The rest of October went relatively smooth once the side effects of my meds had worn off. Dr. Kallen had encouraged us to try and finish the full round of dosing, assuring us that the side effects with my eye sight would not be long term. So, I continued and we had three days of definite ovulation. Here's to hoping I'll be holding a baby within the next year, because I refuse to put myself through it again.

Chris is doing his best to stay on Meridian's good side as he's down for a vacation towards the end of the month. Unfortunately that means saying yes to many doubles. I'm making due by busying myself with school projects and spending time with Hazel and the newest addition, Milo.

I'm spending another Thursday evening with Hazel and Milo, helping make freezer meals for the next week so she's not worrying about cooking.

  "You know, your anniversary is coming up soon," I mention to Hazel. She walks into the kitchen just as I'm pouring the sauce over the enchiladas, the last step before they can be put into the freezer.

   "Who would've thought we'd have to skip celebrating our first anniversary because we've already had a baby," she says with a small laugh.

   "Why can't you celebrate?"

   "Other than being so very exhausted, Milo is too little for us to go anywhere. Maybe next year we'll take a trip or something," Hazel tells me.  She starts rinsing out the bottles before placing them in the hot soapy water.

   I slide the last pan into the freezer before turning around to face my sister in law. "So, stay here. Let me and Chris keep Milo, just overnight, and y'all get a good nights sleep. It may not be the type of anniversary you thought you'd have, but it's the kind you need right now."

   I watch her contemplate the offer for a bit. "I could mention it to Ollie, see what he says."

  After punching a few keys on my phone I let her know it's already been taken care of and her husband is thrilled at the possibility of a full night's sleep. 

  I usher Hazel over to a chair and take over the washing duties. "It's worth it though, right?" I ask her. "The lack of sleep, the constant washing of bottles and laundry. I'm sure it's all worth it."

  "Oh, of course it is!" she assures me. "It just takes some getting use to. I wouldn't trade it though." 

   On cue I hear Milo start to fuss through the baby monitor. I stop Hazel from getting up. "I'll get him, see if I can get him back to sleep. Go, relax in the tub. I can stay another half hour or so."

  "Are you sure?"

   "I wouldn't offer it if I wasn't. Go," I tell her again as I trot down the hall to my crying nephew.

   Milo had managed to wiggle his arms free from his snuggie which is probably why he had started to fuss. He prefers to be warm and tight, just like he was in his mother's womb. "Okay, Mr. Man, let's get you all tucked in again." I unwrap him, just to rewrap him. Picking him up I walk over to the chair that sits in his nursery. 

   "Auntie D loves you so much, sweet boy, so much," I whisper as I begin to shush him back to sleep.

~~~~~

  The month seems to be flying by, which I'm more than thankful for. Instead of going to the  mountains this Thanksgiving, Chris and I are going to Disney World.  But, I still have one more promise to keep before we go out of town.

   Hazel and Oliver just left our house after dropping off little Milo for the night.  I sit down with him on the couch, Dodger taking a peek at the little noise maker. Milo is wide awake, cooing at me as I talk to him and make funny expressions. Babies really do make adults act strange. 

   We had just started in on our newest conversation, all the things our family is thankful for, when the garage door opens and Chris strolls in. 

   "Hi love," I say, standing up from the couch, still cradling Milo in my arms.

   Chris suddenly stops coming towards me, pausing before giving me a smile.

   "What's wrong?"

   "That's an incredible sight," he says, motioning to me holding the baby. "I look forward to coming home every day to this."

   My heart flutters at his words. I meet him halfway, giving him a peck on the lips, my own smile across my face.

   "Hey little buddy," he says to Milo, leaning over and placing a small kiss on his head. "I'm gonna go shower, clean up and then I'll be out to cook dinner or help with him, whichever you prefer."

   I watch him walk away, in complete awe of my life with this man. Offering to cook dinner or play with the baby, how many men do that? I'm lucky I married one.

  Milo and I decide to go sit on our bed while Chris showers. He's almost six weeks old at this point and has begun enjoying watching the rattle as we shake it, even trying to reach for it. Of course his depth perception isn't developed at this point, but he sure does try.

  Chris finds me making funny faces at Milo, sticking my tongue out at him and blinking my eyes. He just chuckles at the sight. "So, do you want me to cook or keep him happy?" 

   "He's actually due to eat, so I'll fix his bottle and then you can feed him while I cook?"

  "Sounds good. Milo, how do you feel about football?" he asks the infant.

   Milo responds by passing gas. "Sounds about right," Chris laughs out.

   I go into the kitchen, Dodger trotting behind me knowing it's his dinner time too since his daddy is home now. I start warming up Milo's formula and give Dodge a scoop of his food as well. Taking the bottle back into our bedroom I find Chris sitting up against the headboard with Milo laying in his lap, Chris' knees pulled up, football game playing in the background. "Here ya go, fellas." I hand Chris the bottle who immediately offers it to Milo. He graciously accepts by beginning to slurp quickly. "Don't forget to burb him. We don't want to deal with a gassy  baby tonight."

   "Tell Aunt D this isn't Uncle Chris' first time feeding a baby," he says looking down at Milo. 

   I roll my eyes but leave the two alone to head off to start cooking. I dice up potatoes, smoked sausage and cheese in order to make potato soup. Once it's simmering on the stove I go in to check on the boys.  

   The sight that greets me leaves me breathless. Milo, asleep on Chris' chest, sleeping, as is Chris. 

   I swear I feel my ovaries clench and my uterus cry.