4

Combining the information you had with Dabi's knowledge admittedly made things much clearer than they had been.

The two of you had managed to get to a good starting point. After learning and reading through the theories about where this weapon had originated and what it could do, you were able to come to the conclusion that neither the heroes nor the villains had much of an idea of where to look for this thing either, meaning that there was time. Dabi had also said that there was a high possibility that the killer that had attacked you two nights ago wouldn't be the only one hunting for this thing. If Seigi had managed to get access to this information chances were that other groups did too. So, although you had more time than you'd originally thought, you needed to be faster than everyone else.

After about a half-hour, you heard your phone ringing from inside of your room. You were reluctant to leave your current task, but it would only take a few seconds, and you had a feeling about who it was that could be calling.

"Stay here," you said while standing up. Dabi waved his hand, not looking up from what he was reading.

You walked quickly to your room, accidentally bumping into the hanger on your door that held the cluster of gold medals you'd accumulated throughout the years. The phone was still ringing, an unknown number. You picked it up and answered with your name and a greeting.

"Yes, hello." The voice sounded as though it belonged to a middle aged woman. "I don't believe we've spoken before, I am the Hero Public Safety Commission Chairman and I'm calling in regards to the incident that occured over the weekend."

The chairman? She was known to rarely speak to anyone other than the highest level employees of the commission. The only person you'd ever seen her speaking to was Hawks, and it had only been a glimpse while on your way to bring a stack of files to another member of the board. "Chairman, of course. What would you like to know from me?"

"I believe that Hawks has already asked the necessary questions. I would, however, like to ask once more if you may have remembered anything else? Something that could aid us in figuring out the motive for the villains crime, and put a stop to any partners he may have had?"

She was trying to scare you into giving her information about what Ami had left you. By saying that the villain could have had partners, she was insinuating that your life could still be in danger as a way to get what she wanted. "Sorry, but what I told Hawks is still true. Didn't he say that the motive had something to do with a grudge against the vigilante group?"

She took a moment to respond, and you heard the faint sound of pencil scratching on paper. "Yes, that is the most likely reason. We just like to be sure that we cover all of our ground."

"Yes, of course. That makes sense."

The chairman cleared her throat. "I notice that you failed to come into work today, yet you didn't call in. Why is that?"

"Oh, um." The question took you by surprise. Wasn't it obvious why you hadn't come in? "I was just released from the hospital yesterday and I've been trying to come to terms with everything that happened. I didn't think to call. I apologize."

"Ah, yes, that is understandable. I do hope you know that this will have to be marked on your file, though. And I do hope that you are able to resume your normal schedule tomorrow." There was an undertone to her voice, one that made it clear that she fully expected you to be back at your desk by eight thirty in the morning tomorrow.

"I should be able to do that. I think I just needed a day to clear my head." A day. Who in their right mind would only need a day to cope with having their best friend killed and nearly being killed themselves? Your injury hadn't even healed yet for god's sake.