tulip (2)

i just made up some characters in this chapter

//

The tulip bulbs bounced in my bag as I hopped and skipped to June's park. As I passed Jade's house, I waved at the window, but she was fast asleep. I approached the plant beds, but something was different.

Some of the blooms had vanished!

I took a closer look. It was obvious somebody picked a whole bunch, because the stems were cut. I shook my head in disappointment. I planted the tulip bulbs in the center of the second box and sighed, looking at the suddenly scarce flowers. Who would destroy our hard work? And why would they do that? I hoped the mystery gardener wouldn't be too upset. Although it was important for me to find out who was planting these flowers, a more pressing issue was who was cutting them.

It was the weekend, and the park was most popular in the afternoon. If anyone was picking the flowers, they'd do it at this time, and I could catch them. I left the house in the early afternoon. Passing by Jade's house, she waved out her window at me. I smiled at her and continued to the park, down the empty sidewalk.

I arrived at the park, and there was a surprisingly large number of people there. There were many young children running around at the playground or on the grass, and there were people walking their dogs. I'd never seen so many people at one park, at least in my neighborhood. I sat behind a tree near the flower beds, keeping watch of them closely. People didn't pay too much attention to the flowers, but I knew someone out there was picking them.

I had been there for a couple minutes when a young boy, no older than nine walked up to the flowers. He had short brown hair and he was skinny. He had clearly been crying. He plucked a marigold and sighed, getting up. Before he could leave, I stepped out from behind the tree, careful not to scare him. He turned around to face me with a look of sorrow on his face. I didn't expect the flower picker to be so... young.

"Hey kid, I know the flowers are pretty, but someone worked hard to plant those.'' I told him. He nodded.

"B-but I wanted some, and they were just there," he sighed.

"Well I'm just letting you know. You can admire them in their natural state," I told him.

"Can I just take one more?" he pleaded. I exhaled, feeling bad for the kid. I knew the mystery gardener wouldn't be pleased with a random disappearance of their flowers, but I couldn't explain it to the kid.

"Look, I know you like these flowers, but it's important to me that they stay put," I explained. I could see tears swell in his eyes.

"My sister just really loves flowers, and I want to show them to her. I just want her to be happy," he was clearly upset.

"Is your sister sad?" I asked.

"She's sick."

"I'm so sorry she's not feeling well," I really felt for the boy, and I wanted to help. "Maybe I could help. Here," I looked through my backpack for something.

"I-it's just that... every time she sees the flowers I bring home for her, I see her face light up. She looks so happy, even though she's sick," he explained. "I told her that a mermaid washed it up on shore for her. She thinks the flowers are so pretty."

"What's her favorite flower?" I asked the boy, to which he replied, "Sunflower,"

"I'll see what I can do. And one last thing - what's her name?"

"Kaori," the boy told me. I smiled at him and nodded.

"Take care of Kaori. I'll see what I can do."